Daiwa 7300H, a look inside

Started by festus, December 15, 2019, 12:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This is a medium size freshwater reel that I got for 5 bucks.  It was reeling ok, but noisy, and the bail was sluggish.  Anti-reverse and drag were working ok.  I remember these 7000 series reels in the 1970s, they were fairly common around here in several sizes.  I bought the bottom of the barrel 7270A that I gave a grand total of two bucks including tax with change back about 1973.  This 7300H is larger, weighs 12 oz and has line capacity of 300 yds of 10 lb. test mono.

There is no handle screw to remove on this model, the handle is taken off by reeling it clockwise.

Removing Body Cover A.

A look inside, the oscillating slider pin is on the other side.

Removing Body Cover B.

After doing some wiping, I found the oscillating slider pin and removed it.

Removing the axle and spool.

A look inside the rotor and bail trip assembly.

Removing the rotor.

There is a ball bearing underneath all this but it's sounding mighty rough.  This reel had quite a bit of grit throughout.  It was probably sand, I doubt if this reel was used in saltwater.

Removing pinion shaft collar.

Removing rotor retaining washer.

Removing pinion gear.

Removing rotating brake.

A look at the bearing which was a pain to remove.

This bearing is toast!  Worst one I've ever run across.  Won't be able to finish this reel until I get another.  Next time I'm at Home Depot I'll pick up some calipers and size this one up.

A look under the spool with the click tongue.

A look at the anti-reverse claw, spring, and screw.

The bail was sluggish and there was too much grit inside the rotor, so I took the entire bail assembly apart for cleaning.

The parts were cleaned and reel was reassembled minus the bearing until I get another.  I'm seeing calipers as low as 6 bucks on Amazon, some at Home Depot for about 10 bucks, and others online up to about 30 bucks.  Can anyone recommend a good set?  I've been doing reel repair now for about 28 months and this is actually the first call I've had for any.

festus

Schematic

happyhooker

Nice looking reel, inside & out.  Your TLC will bring it back to spec.

Some while back, I got a used Lufkin mic, 0 - 1", US made, that has been a great help to me on more than a few projects.  I enjoy old-time tools that work.

Frank

Midway Tommy

I went for years without calipers. Never really had a reason to be that accurate, but a couple of years ago I had an Ace Hardware coupon and they had a nice General 6" digital on sale so I picked one up. They're accurate and more than adequate for what I need, and inexpensive to boot. I don't use it a lot but I can't believe I went without one for so long.  ::) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

A while back I got 7 or 8 Daiwa spinners and spincasters advertised as parts reels.  Found a replacement ball bearing and this 7300H is now fully functioning. These are nice reels, as all the other 7000 series

kiwiretzev

Thanks for this post. Love the old Daiwa's too.

Tell me (someone), what actually 'makes' a reel a freshwater or a saltwater reel?
Is it due to more s/s parts on the reel?