2062 Heaviest Line

Started by Rivverrat, March 28, 2019, 11:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 05, 2021, 04:07:51 AMHave you checked to make sure the line guide is free and rolling? Also, what weight & quality of mono are you using? Cheap & heavy mono seems to twist worse than the good stuff like Trilene or Stren. Depending on the type of fishing you're doing a swivel will help, too.

Yes,  the line guide is rolling. It has Ande Back Country, I think it's 15# or 17#, maybe too heavy for this reel?  Absolutely a swivel is needed on these old school spinners!

oc1

The number of twists per yard of line is determined by the spool diameter.  Every loop coming off the spool when casting will create one 360 degree twist.  On the retrieve, every revolution of the rotor will remove one 360 degree teist by twisting line in the opposite direction.  So, you will hardly notice twists if you only cast and retrieve.

Pulling drag does not create twists as line leaves the spool but when you crank the line back on the spool it creates twist.  So, a back-and-forth battle pulling drag and then cranking the line back in will create twists that are not being removed and they accumulate.  Craking against a slipping drag also creates twists that accumulate.  When twists are accumulating you will surely notice it and any slack line will curl upon itself.

The line roller has almost no effect on line twist.  A stuck roller or old style bail without a roller makes very little, if any, difference.

You tend to notice twists more with mono than with braid.

philaroman

Quote from: nelz on December 05, 2021, 04:37:02 AM
Yes,  the line guide is rolling. It has Ande Back Country, I think it's 15# or 17#, maybe too heavy for this reel?

reel considerations aside, 15# is too heavy
Quote from: nelz on December 05, 2021, 03:23:46 AM
I just dug up my old 2062 and am wanting to use it for some light freshwater.

reel-wise, the high end of older line-class specs can be quite optimistic
specifically NOT because of strength or drag range, but due to twist/coil making reel unusable
spool diameter prob too small for thick mono -- more twist from use AND worse coiling from disuse
still happens w/ thinner line, but you can get more than couple hrs. in, before needing to address issue

nelz

Quote from: oc1 on December 05, 2021, 06:49:56 AMThe number of twists per yard of line is determined by the spool diameter.

There has to more to it than that. My newer reels, especially the Daiwas, produce so little twist that they can practically be used without a swivel. With old school reels, a swivel is a must.

This 2062 seems especially bad, let's see what happens with a different line...

philaroman

Quote from: oc1 on December 05, 2021, 06:49:56 AM
The number of twists per yard of line is determined by the spool diameter.  Every loop coming off the spool when casting will create one 360 degree twist.  On the retrieve, every revolution of the rotor will remove one 360 degree teist by twisting line in the opposite direction.

that's correct if the spool is filled on a machine, like a conventional (stored straight / cast twists / retreive untwists)
the opposite is true, if you fill by cranking the reel (stored twisted / cast untwists / retreive twists back)
AND ALL THAT, is assuming the manufacturer filled the bulk spool "straight/untwisted"
if you missmatch your spooling method to the way the bulk spool is wound, you may get "double-twist"

don't get me started on THAT rant...  hate THEIR stupid instructions on how to fill MY reel
wish they just told me how they filled the bulk spool, AND I WILL DECIDE!!!
how I want the line stored & whether it should twist or untwist during the cast

nelz

What I'm talking about is totally different. I'll pull out maybe 50 feet of line, remove all twist from it, and leave it laying on the ground straight. I then reel it in and immediately it starts to twist up. It's the reel design.

philaroman

Quote from: nelz on December 05, 2021, 04:44:13 PM
What I'm talking about is totally different.  maybe, not
I'll pull out maybe 50 feet of line, HOW?  bail open OR through roller w/ drag eased off -- IT MATTERS
remove all twist from it, and leave it laying on the ground straight. WHY?  it's supposed to be twisted, if it's stored untwisted on the spool
I then reel it in and immediately it starts to twist up.  because you removed the normal twist manually, instead of doing it via retreive, so now the retreive is twisting line in other/WRONG direction
It's the reel design.   yes...  ALL spinning reel -- same spool OD & gear ratio will give you same twist regardless of age/brand

Midway Tommy

Interesting discussion. It's pretty well known that the larger the diameter of the spool the less line twist you will get and the smaller the diameter the farther you are able to cast given the same rod circumstance. One thing is for sure, one should never crank against line being pulled out against the drag. Line pulling out against the drag is no big deal. With mono, though, the line will actually stretch and remove some line memory.

I really don't have problems with line twist unless I'm doing a lot of trolling and it's really not that big of an issue, but my heaviest freshwater line is 8# test Trilene XL. If I get too much twist I either attach the hook to a tree and stretch 50 yards or remove all terminals and let out 75 yards or so of line behind the boat at 15 - 20 mph and drag it for a little while, then reels it in and any twists are history for quite awhile. I fish with the fulcrum brake Cardinals so spool diameter is similar and the retrieve may be a little faster.

I line my own spools and I never do it like manufactures recommend. I made my own spooler so I can put line on the way I want to. I put the reel on a half rod and do it manually with the spool I'm taking from vertical.. Works great for me.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

We talk about reels, rods, etc. — but maybe the most overlooked part of our arsenal is the line.

Around February, I generally change out my line nearly every year on every reel I use.

Line is cheap compared to other aspects of our fishing endeavors — license, reels, rods, lures, boat, vehicle, fuel, travel expense, hotel, charter trips, other equipment.

I use monofilament Trilene XL for fresh water or Big Game for salt water.

Buy it in 5 lb. spools.

I spool it on the reel by hand with a rod butt like Tommy uses — I only use the powered line winders for the conventional reels.

Stretch it behind the boat if needed a couple of times a season — then toss it away and spool up fresh once a season.

Cheapest and most effective thing I can do to prepare for a hopefully large fish.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

nelz

I switched to 10lb mono line, still twists alot. Used a ball-bearing swivel to fish it, all was good. But the reel's going back on the shelf because I can't stand the auto-only bail closing! I've gotten so used to the control that a manual bail allows, it's amazing the difference. Well it was nice for a bit of fishing nostalgia.  :)

Midway Tommy

I have the old Cabela's vinyl type sleeves over the reels on all of my user setups. Those really protect the reels from dings & dirt, and keep the light off the line. Mono will last a long time if you can keep it out of the light. I change mine when it shows wear, some of them have 10 year old XL on them,  :o but I check the line all the time. All my reels are set up with 125 yds of XL with dacron backing. That seems to work best for the way I fish.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Paul Roberts

The 2062 is a medium sized spinning reel. 8-12lb mono seems about right for mine. I'm sure it could handle 6, or 14lb, if needed. I often use braid with a mono leader. 20lb braid is what I use for a Med spinning reel like the 2062.

As to line twist, reel design -old or new- has little or nothing to do with it. Some twist is inherent in all spinning reels. The first critical point is in initial line loading. A line winder, like I used to use in the tackle shop, can load line without any twist. Just loading by reeling off the filler spool always adds a little twist due to the fact that the reel's spool and line spool are different diameters. IME, this is not enough twist to cause serious issues. These come when the fishing begins.

Revolving lures and certain terminal rigs (drop-shot is notorious) are the biggest culprit. Any twist can be managed with a little maintenance: cutting off the lure or rig and letting the line hang freely in the water, behind the boat, in current, or just walking the bank. Worth doing every now and then, especially when using certain lure types, spoons and spinners in particular. Ball-bearing swivels can help but I only bother with them when repeated casting spoons or spinners at a rapid clip. Otherwise they too are manageable without a swivel.

Another culprit is reeling while drag is playing out. This can get really bad when fighting large long running species, esp during a prolonged fight. Since I'm a back-reeler, and do not use drag, the line comes off and on the spool the same exact way via the rotor, not introducing twist.

Line type matters, quite a lot. Fluorocarbon is the worst of the lot. Its wiry nature exacerbates twist. Braid is so soft it absorbs a lot of twist.

Again, all spinning reels can induce twist, but "old school" has little to do with it. The 2062 is not esp prone to twist. Something else is going on there.