alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Shakespeare 2068 Sport Wonder
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 08, 2020, 03:50:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shakespeare 2068 Sport Wonder  (Read 1671 times)
Midway Tommy
Tom
Sensei

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« on: December 14, 2019, 11:00:26 PM »

In 1962 Shakespeare began manufacture of the charcoal gray 2068 Sport Wonder for introduction into the 1963 market place. Later in 1963 Shakespeare also introduced the maroon 2062, which eventually became the 2068's successor. Both reels are basically the same size. Many vintage reel historians and collectors consider the 2068 Sport Wonder as one of the finest open face spinning reels ever manufactured in the United States, especially in its day. It was short lived so, while not really rare, they are somewhat difficult to find in good condition. Shakespeare ended production of the 2068 in 1967. Here's a look at one, an EG, i.e. 1964.

While in excellent condition it obviously hadn't been cleaned in quite awhile. This is what it looked like when I opened it up.

I took it all apart and did my usual lacquer thinner soak for all the unpainted metal parts. All the painted metal and plastic parts were cleaned with Original White Goop and then washed in warm water with Dawn. Here all the parts are clean and ready to assemble.

As usual, before my hands get greasy, I install the bail and trip lever on the rotor cup. The 2068 has a tungsten carbide line roller that really does roll.

Shakespeare bail springs are a little touchy to get into the correct position. The spring has a double right angle hook on the outer end that has to in the correct position in the notch in the bail arm before installing the bail screw. You have to start the bail screw a thread or two and rotate the bail arm stop over the stop block on the rotor, push the bail arm down against the spring housing and then tighten the bail screw. Usually you have to use something thin like an eXacto knife to position the spring end back into the groove in the bail screw so that the bail screw will tighten correctly. It can get a little tedious at times. Once the bail arm is installed I check the bail to make sure it lines up perfectly. I bend or adjust it if need be, install it and then install the trip lever and spring. Once everything works perfectly I set the rotor aside to install later. BTW, I lubricate all my bail springs with ArmorAll. I never use oil or grease because they collect dirt and gum up the bail spring after awhile.

Now, while my hands are still clean, I install the drag washers in the spool and put the handle together. The 2068 has the normal Shakespeare 6 washer drag stack with three leather washers that are to be oiled.

Time to install the spool click dog and spring.

Now I'll install the anti-reverse lever, dog, spring and mechanism into the body. From this point on all lubing is, my favorite, Super Lube grease and synthetic oil. 

Now that the anti-reverse parts are in place it's time to install the steel pinion worm gear. The 2068 has the normal ball bearing configuration that is retained with an internal split ring. The bearing has steel races, and plastic shields that are easy to remove. It was easy to clean and relube the inside of the bearing and reinstall the shields. The pinion is supported at the rear by a bronze oilite bushing.

With the pinion and bearing in place it's time to install the rotor cup.

The main gear goes in next. The anti-reverse ratchet gear is a separate piece and replaceable. There is also a brass shim washer between the ratchet gear and main gear handle bushing. The handle bushing is steel.

The next step is to install the main shaft. The under spool washer is leather. The 2068 has a robust oscillation mechanism. The oscillation block and arm is quite stout and somewhat unique. There is also a small brass transfer gear on the main gear shaft that will operate an oscillation gear that is positioned in the side plate.

There's a oilite bushing in the side plate that supports the end of the main gear shaft. That is an interesting and quality attribute. There is a brass shim washer and small bushing that fit on the stud on the oscillation gear.   

With the oscillation gear in place it's time to install the side plate, making sure the stud is positioned in the slot on the arm/block.

There are two oil ports with screws, one for the main gear/handle shaft and one for the bearing/pinion area. It is time to install them, the spool, drag knob and handle.

All done! A high quality light size Shakespeare spinning reel from the mid '60s, the 2068 Sport Wonder.

And, for you Chester, and anyone else that might be curious or interested. It weighs in at 11.6 oz.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
Crow

Dauphin Island Sunset

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 04:35:05 AM »

Great write-up !

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 05:50:02 AM »

Excellently engineered reel --excellent tutorial -- excellent review, Tommy!

Thanks!

Best,

Fred

Self-worth is how you value yourself. It’s not based on what others think of you or the things you have (or haven’t) accomplished—it comes from within. But it’s easy to forget that our worth isn’t determined by outside forces -- each of us sets our own price.

In life, be flexible, willing to listen to others, willing to change your mind based on your good judgement -- that is how progress is made, and new horizons are discovered.  When the winds of change blow -- A flexible limb moves and thrives -- a stiff and stubborn limb just snaps.
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 06:32:58 AM »

That 2068 looks to be a much more robust reel than the 2065. I'm glad so many folks greased those bails years ago. It makes for a fantastic buy when the bail hardly moves, and the problem is so easy to fix, just as long as you don't allow that spring to put you in "mind control". Thanks for the peek inside Tom. Cool

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus
Sensei

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 09:23:30 AM »

Great tutorial, Tommy.  Learn something every day on this site.  That's really my first look at a 2068.  For some reason I thought the 2068 and 2065 were the same reel, not so.
basto

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 01:14:34 PM »

Great work Tommy as usual.
Greg

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Triton Mark 3S    Jigging Master PE5n
philaroman

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 03:35:44 PM »

beautiful...  if you only had a main like this for your Mepps Transformer Grin
happyhooker

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 02:42:47 PM »

Super look at a super reel.  Just oozes quality and durability.  So much to remind one of the earlier set of bigger Sea Wonders.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 05:14:01 PM by happyhooker » Logged
Chuck750ss

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »

Great tutorial, Tommy.  Learn something every day on this site.  That's really my first look at a 2068.  For some reason I thought the 2068 and 2065 were the same reel, not so.
Same here.
Chuck750ss

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 04:22:36 PM »

Just finished cleaning and lubing my 2068. Reel was not used much, close to new condition. Original 1960’s grease. Amazing how smooth these old Shakespeare’s are when cleaned and lubed.
DougK

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 03:20:44 PM »

neat reel, thank you Tommy. I got a little-used 2062 cheap, right out the shipping box it's one of the smoothest reels I own, and beautifully solid.
Didn't even know about the 2068..
Alto Mare

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 05:12:28 PM »

Nice detailed work as usual Tommy!
Thanks for showing us that reel and how it’s done getting deep in there.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: