Daiwa 1600X, a look inside

Started by festus, December 17, 2019, 06:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I didn't intend to do a tutorial on this reel since I posted the Daiwa 1600C a few days ago.   However, this 1600X differs very much from the C model.  It is obvious that the 1600X doesn't have the external bail trip.  It has the push button pop off spool, but there are major differences in gearing also.

Removing the handle cap screw.

Turning the handle backwards to remove it.

Removing the body cover.  I was surprised this reel has the loop type oscillating slide instead of an oscillating gear and block-type slide as on the 1600C.  No disappointment, just surprised.

Removing oscillating slider.

Removing the screw that fastens the axle to the oscillating support.

Removing the axle.

Removing the drive gear.  This plastic bushing is known as the metal bearing on the schematic.  I've seen this on several other Daiwa schematics.

Removing the oscillating support.

Removing the 14mm rotor nut.  These have regular threads.

Separating the rotor from the body.

These reels also have a ball bearing on the pinion.  Several parts need removed to extract this bearing, including the ratchet and spacer.

The cam kick plate and ball bearing retainer washer assemblies are removed to extract the pinion and ball bearing.  The anti-reverse assembly can be worked around without removal.

The anti-reverse claw, springs, and cam are working fine, so they are left intact.

A look at the spool and drag assembly.

A look at the underside of the spool and click claw assembly.

I try not to use lacquer thinner unless necessary, but it made cleanup of the drive gear and pinion very easy.  The remainder of the parts were given a bath of Simple Green or Dawn.

Pinion and ball bearing, along with the cam kick plate and bearing retaining washer back in place.

Reattaching ratchet and spacer.

Reattaching rotor and nut.

Plastic bushing goes back into main body.

Reinserting oscillating support.

Reinserting main gear.

Reinserting oscillating slide.

Plastic bushing has been reinserted into body cover.

Reinserting axle and fastening to oscillating support.

Reattaching body cover.

Reattaching handle.

Another major difference in the 1600X and 1600C is weight.  The 1600X weighs 11.8 oz and the 1600C is 14.8 oz.  The 1600X has less line capacity, but the number comparison is minor.  400/6, 270/8, 190/10, 150/12, and 120/15 for the 1600X. Retrieve ratio seems to be around 4.5 to 1.  

festus

Schematic

mo65

Bravo Chester! I got my feelers out for a 1600x, it's a killer reel. I like the features on this one, the simple loop oscillator, the bigger drags, the ball bearing, and the reduced weight. Hey...here's a heads up...I found a cool little version of the "70" size Daiwa. Check out this 70xx! I'll do a tutorial on it soon, it has some improvements over the 70x.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on December 17, 2019, 08:35:23 PM
   Bravo Chester! I got my feelers out for a 1600x, it's a killer reel. I like the features on this one, the simple loop oscillator, the bigger drags, the ball bearing, and the reduced weight. Hey...here's a heads up...I found a cool little version of the "70" size Daiwa. Check out this 70xx! I'll do a tutorial on it soon, it has some improvements over the 70x.
Wow, another reel I had no idea that existed.  Looks good in black.

Alto Mare

You keep them coming Chester and yours as well Mo.
I've been enjoying your hard work, I know how much is involved when doing one.
We used to have many tutorials in the beginning and it slowed down quite a bit at some point.
I'm glad you guys are bringing them back, that's what most of this site is about.
Great job! 

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 17, 2019, 11:06:50 PM
You keep them coming Chester and yours as well Mo.
I've been enjoying your hard work, I know how much is involved when doing one.
We used to have many tutorials in the beginning and it slowed down quite a bit at some point.
I'm glad you guys are bringing them back, that's what most of this site is about.
Great job! 

Thanks Sal! When I first started making these posts I had no clue just how many folks were actually reading them. Then I started receiving so many messages with questions and such...I soon realized I wasn't the only one who was curious about the inner workings of these classic reels. I have spent hours viewing posts by yourself, the Boss, Fred, and many of the other members here. The work of Rothmar2(Chris) and mhc(Mike) has inspired me also...those guys are awesome. Chester's recent interest in classic spinning reels and investigative work has likewise sparked my interest in them. So many reels...so little time. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

For sure, the time you are spending sharing your knowledge is appreciated.  One would have thought the numbering system would have shown more similarities between the two reels you note.  Takeaway is to make sure you have the exact schematic you need when you approach a reel; don't settle for one that has a "similar" number.

Frank