Modified XN 501 project

Started by mhc, December 20, 2019, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

After months of using my new mini mill to make stuff for my new mini mill, I've finally started using it for reel stuff. First up is modifying a set of blemished Cortez Conversion jigmaster plates Tom had sent a while back - thanks again Tom. It wasn't intentional when I started, but it looks like I've copied features from Tom's clasic series, his 3/0 plates and the Newell plates - lucky I'm using his plates as well.
The plates started out anodized red;

The plates after stripping the anodizing in a phosphoric acid bath at 175 - 220 F

Checking the anodise is completely removed with a muli-meter (anodizing is non-conductive)

There is a small amount of anodizing residue in some of the internal corners that should be removed either mechanically or chemically before the plates are re-anodized;

I started cutting a bevel with the plate mounted on a rotab using the screw holes in the plate & removing the each screw to cut past it  ::)

I'm not sure what I was thinking but after one pass I changed to a central screw to hold the plate;

Cutting the open slots for the screws using a 6 mm end mill. I started with a 3 mm shank 5mm carbide burr that I had used dozens of times in the drill press - the shank bent and left the semi circular scar at the bottom of the plate (Lesson No 142: Think!)

Using a 6 mm end mill to cut down the diameter of the plates where they don't contact the frame;

And where I'm at with the plates;

The plates with the frame;

OK - the frame needs a bit more work  ;D

Thanks
Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Fishy247

QuoteOK - the frame needs a bit more work  Grin

Maybe just a little more polishing...Very cool stuff!

Mike

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

Love watching you play on your mill now that you've had some practice.

No doubt you have more tricks up your sleeve.

Thanks for sharing
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

I'm so happy to see you starting another reel!
I love seeing all the cool innovations you come up with!
Thanks for sharing so I can learn  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Rivverrat

I really like the beveled edge. Wanted to do the same on a couple of 4/0 side plates. Makes it nicer to hold / palm the side plate... Jeff

Rothmar2

Looking good Mike. The "Lesson Learnt" tally will never end. Don't ask how I know this.... :D

mo65

Quote from: Rothmar2 on December 20, 2019, 08:58:17 PM
Looking good Mike. The "Lesson Learnt" tally will never end. Don't ask how I know this.... :D

Agreed...I'm the master of "learn it the hard way". 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

I like it..!! It's something I want to learn.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: mhc on December 20, 2019, 02:26:29 PM
The plates with the frame;

OK - the frame needs a bit more work  ;D
Thanks
Mike

oooh nice, Im keeping an eye on this fo'sho!

with the same words that my friend the "sculptor" would say.
its an easy job, the frame is there, its already inside of that block, I just need to take all the material that is not needed with my chisel.

The Baja Guy

mhc

Thanks guys, I hope I don't bore everyone with too much detail in these posts but I'm still a bit enthusiastic about what can be done with even small machines like this.

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 20, 2019, 05:49:54 PM

No doubt you have more tricks up your sleeve.

I think I have Ted, but it can be challenge retrieving them at times.   ;D

Quote from: xjchad on December 20, 2019, 06:02:32 PM
I'm so happy to see you starting another reel!
....Thanks for sharing so I can learn  ;D

Thanks Chad, it's taken a while setting up the mill (I haven't started on the workshop yet) but it's functional enough to start this reel. We all learn from each other's posts and look forward to your projects as well.

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 20, 2019, 08:18:38 PM
I really like the beveled edge. Wanted to do the same on a couple of 4/0 side plates. Makes it nicer to hold / palm the side plate... Jeff

Yeah Jeff, taking the corner off with either a bevel or rounded over does seem to make a difference to the feel of the reel - it drops a bit of weight as well.

Quote from: Rothmar2 on December 20, 2019, 08:58:17 PM

Chris, if you're still racking up 'lessons learned' I've got a long road of lessons ahead.

Quote from: handi2 on December 20, 2019, 11:49:27 PM
I like it..!! It's something I want to learn.

Go for it Keith - they are fun machines, particularly if you have spent some time with files and a drill press thinking there's an easier way to do this.  

Alex, I've started uncovering the frame within the block - first was to mark out the material to remove;

The bulk of the material was removed using the x y table feed to step around the external diameter;

A hole saw was used to remove the internal material (I had bought the hole saw before the mill and wanted to try it out);

The inside radius was trimmed to size with a boring head;

I was using one of Ted's reel feet for shape etc and found a 19mm end mill tilted at 45 deg matched the curve on the underside of his feet;

The tapers at each end of the foot are around 9 - 10 deg so I cut a couple of angled parallels to set the frame in the vice at 9 deg;  

The underside of the reel foot shaped;

Next up is drill and tap the side plate holes to mount the frame on the rotab.

Thanks
Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Donnyboat

Loving your work Mike, keep it coming, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Mike, not only you are showing your amazing work, you are also showing us how it's done step by step, some would be too proud to show anyone.

I'm glad you're here pal.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelFishingProblems

I love watching you create reel magic, keep it coming

Cor

Great stuff.    I enjoy checking your photos.
My late father in law had a machine shop and to my utter regret I never mastered more then very basic lathe work.

Had all the tools available. :'( :'(
Cornelis