Jigmaster Oddity

Started by nelz, January 21, 2020, 07:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

I just picked up an old Jigmaster 500S and to my surprise, it has canvas drag washers. Did Penn ever use canvas on Jigmasters?

alantani

Well, no, but they used leather.....
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nelz

Quote from: alantani on January 21, 2020, 07:26:19 AMWell, no, but they used leather...

Yeah, I know about the leather, these are definitely canvas and they fit perfectly. They're greased too. Thanks Alan.

mo65

Quote from: nelz on January 21, 2020, 02:29:14 PM
Quote from: alantani on January 21, 2020, 07:26:19 AMWell, no, but they used leather...

Yeah, I know about the leather, these are definitely canvas and they fit perfectly. They're greased too. Thanks Alan.

You gotta post a pic of these Nelz...I gotta see them. :o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

akfish

Probably used the canvas drag washers from a Shimano TR200 and opened the center hole a bit.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

nelz

Quote from: mo65 on January 21, 2020, 04:02:03 PMYou gotta post a pic of these Nelz...I gotta see them.

Nothing special about them Mo. Here's a pic for ya:

mo65

Thanks Nelz. That brings me to my next question...are they soft like canvas or do they have a resin impregnated?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Quote from: mo65 on January 21, 2020, 08:56:56 PMThanks Nelz. That brings me to my next question...are they soft like canvas or do they have a resin impregnated?

They appear to be plain canvas but they have been compressed for years unused, and were at some time greased with something that feels like Cal's.

PacRat

I concur with you Nelz. Shimano used canvas and grease on certain models. I still have a few around here and a small tub of Shimano drag grease. That was the first time I ever greased a drag.
-Mike

alantani

i'll betcha they're shimano drag washers that someone installed!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Def look like some Shimano and maybe Sealine reels I've had apart- seems like a SLSH30 my cousin reeled up from a pier had them... And I replaced with carbontex lol.