Modified XN 501 project

Started by mhc, December 20, 2019, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Thanks again everyone, it's been loads of fun so far trying different set ups and experimenting. This reel is getting close to shape, there's a bit of final trim sanding and polishing that I will leave until I'm ready to anodize it when the weather gets a bit cooler.
Half of the Cortez Conversions engraving on the inside of the plates was removed when the plates were cut down so the plates were shaved down to remove the rest of it. I used different thicknesses of paper to shim the plates untill they were 'flat' - It took a lot of fiddling to get them within 0.02mm or 0.8 thou, I think the set up will need to be simplified to get it any better.

It took 0.2mm to remove the engraving remnants from each plate, although I took 0.3mm from the head plate to correct a slight mistake. The Tib XN frames measure 31.8 mm wide - thanks to Chris (Rothmar2) for measuring his XN squidder frame. I aimed for 32.3 mm for this frame to compensate for the 0.5 mm total material removed from the plates. Once cut to width, the plates were mounted on the rotab set up vertically to cut the drainage holes for Ted  ;D;

The foot got in the way with cutting the bottom of the cut-outs so I used a smaller collet holder to rech through the reel from the other side. I didn't have an MT3 20mm collet to fit the shank of the ER16 holder so I mounted it in the ER32 holder - not ideal but all I could think of;

Time for a quick test fit;

I assembled it with the spool after a bit of finishing work with needle files and dremel and there was no freespool - I was surprised and a tad concerned. It didn't take too long to realise I hadn't cleaned up the inside of the plates after cutting the engraving off - the red circle shows where the metal dragged off the face was rubbing the spool;

And where it's at for now;

Next up will be to make a shorter eccentric lever and stuff.

Thanks
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

What a reel Mike... amazing!
I bet now it get a little scary with the fine tuning, but looks like you have it nicely under control.
This has been extremely enjoyable to watch.
Mike, don't ever stop doing projects and thanks for sharing them with us.

We should pass a basket and send it over to you😁

Cheers,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Great project, Mike --

Coming from a guy who is just a reel mechanic -- this level of skill and imagination is inspiring.

The experience and attention to detail you show us -- demands respect and admiration.

Thanks for taking us along!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Yes I agree with Sal & Fred, thanks Mike, inspiring for sure, what a great reel, yes & thanks for the step by step pics, what line do you think you will load it with, also rod, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Mike, you're my hero and I want to be just like you when I grow up.
-steve

mhc

Thanks guys. It might be a while before I finish this reel, I've been hoodwinked into making some funiture for my daughter. I tried explaining I don't do woodwork anymore, I'm learning to be a machinist  ;D but it didn't wash, she pointed out I had a stack of cabinet timber I wasn't using and the tools needed to make the stuff she wants.

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 23, 2020, 02:09:35 PM
I bet now it get a little scary with the fine tuning,...
Thanks Sal, as you would know the pressure not to blow it increases the closer you get to the finished part and the 'recovery options' reduce.

Quote from: Donnyboat on January 23, 2020, 06:22:59 PM
what line do you think you will load it with, also rod, cheers Don.

Hi Don, I'm thinking around 40 - 50lb braid with 25 - 30lb leader, dunno about rod.

Quote from: foakes on January 23, 2020, 02:32:41 PM
Great project, Mike --

Coming from a guy who is just a reel mechanic -- this level of skill and imagination is inspiring.

Thanks Fred, from a guy that's not even a reel mechanic  ;D As far as imagination goes, there are a lot of borrowed ideas from Tom H, Alan C and others.

Quote from: oc1 on January 23, 2020, 08:23:31 PM
Mike, you're my hero and I want to be just like you when I grow up.
-steve
Haha, Steve you need a break, you're getting confused! Go and spend a bit of time with some well balanced people and reboot.  ;D ;D

Quote from: Robert Janssen on January 22, 2020, 11:19:15 AM
I gotta say, i am really impressed by the variety and creativity behind your machining setups. Some advanced thinking there.
Kudos for that.
Me, i have fun toys like a 0-90 tilting rotab, but rarely if ever consider actually removing the three-jaw chuck from it. It lives there, as far as i'm concerned, demonstrating a great laziness in setups nowadays.

Thanks Doc - you've got me dreaming of a table long enough to have tilting rotab on one end and a vice permanantly mounted on the other end. I'm all for lazy set ups when I work out how.

Quote from: broadway on January 07, 2020, 02:53:21 AM
Any idea of what color/s you're gonna anodize her?

Thanks Dom - as usual I haven't decided on the color yet - plain silver to match the XN cortex squidder, faded gunmetal/pewter like the underhead or maybe something with shades of blue.

Quote from: Rothmar2 on January 06, 2020, 09:07:48 PM
Outstanding work, thanks for showing what's involved. You've come a long way with that mill already.

Thanks Chris, Your detailed posts on various projects have been a big inspiration to have a go at making some stuff myself. I'm looking forward to you getting the time to take on new projects.

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tiddlerbasher

Mike your work is truely inspirational - don't ever stop 8)

ReelFishingProblems

Simply magnificent.
How does a person become an apprenticeship with you?

Nick