Modified XN 501 project

Started by mhc, December 20, 2019, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Wow, this is going to be awesome!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mhc

Thanks guys, I appreciate the interest - I've got a few more photos to bring this project up to date. To drill and tap the side plate holes I used the drilling jig I had made for the underhead reels:

To hold the frame on the rotab I made a small clamping plate, sort of like a lathe face plate with a 20mm stub to fit in an ER32 collet holder;

Starting to trim the outer surface with the frame mounted on the plate;

Trimming the frame and side plate together;

I cut a couple more recesses to reduce bulk and weight;

I'm not sure what happened to the photos of cutting the head plate side - but it was more of the same anyway.

As usual, I've been side-tracked with other stuff but hope to get back to this soon.

Thanks
Mike 

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mhc

Thanks Crow, I was hoping to knock this project over pretty quickly while I had a bit of time off work over Christmas but as usual I was distracted by other stuff. I have made a bit more progress on the frame - cutting the curved 9 deg tapers on the foot and trimming the ends of the frame with a 3.25mm radius.
Cutting the tapers was all set up and about 5 minutes cutting - the frame was clamped in a vertical position against a 1-2-3 block and using the left over plug from the holesaw to protect the inner surface from dings. The rotab was used to cut a 31 mm radius curve on the plug to match the inside radius of the frame:

Checking the plug fits the frame;

The rotab set up with a 18mm off-set to cut a 15mm radius with a 6.0mm cutter;

Cutting the taper with the mill head tilted 9 deg;

Then returning the head to vertical to square the bottom of the cut;

Cutting the 3.25mm radius on the ends of the frame:

And where it's at;

Next up will be to cut some holes in the body of the frame, after I decide on a design.  :-\

Thanks
Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

Alto Mare

Amazing skills! One of the best frame I have seen to date!
Great work Mike!👍

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

Outstanding work, thanks for showing what's involved. You've come a long way with that mill already.

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Maxed Out

Hi Mike, that's some complicated tooling you put together to hold the frame in place !! Looking great so far and finishing touch will be drainage cutouts. Thanks for sharing your progress

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

broadway

Always in awe of your work.  Love how the block gets transformed before our very eyes into a useful work of art.
Really cool to watch!
Any idea of what color/s you're gonna anodize her?
Thanks for showing how things are done, even if it is way above my pay grade.
Best,
Dom

Swami805

So next level, looking forward to the next installment. Thanks for taking the time to post it blow by blow
Do what you can with that you have where you are

milne

Geez,  That's just a completely different level of ability that is........
           Wow, I'm in serious Awe here......

Col

redsetta

Sensational work Mike - thanks for taking us on the journey!
Looking forward to the next installment.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Robert Janssen

I gotta say, i am really impressed by the variety and creativity behind your machining setups. Some advanced thinking there.
Kudos for that.
Me, i have fun toys like a 0-90 tilting rotab, but rarely if ever consider actually removing the three-jaw chuck from it. It lives there, as far as i'm concerned, demonstrating a great laziness in setups nowadays.