Avet South Florida/ Kodiak cam

Started by jeff smith, December 21, 2019, 02:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff smith

Has anyone on here got any experience of these fitted to SX and MX models? Fitting looks easy enough but how much difference does it make to the drag 'ramp'?

akfish

I've installed a few of them in MX's for salmon fishing. They made a lot of difference. Another option to replace the spacer on the shaft next to the left side spool bering with a stack of several (I think it took 4) belleville washers.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

jeff smith

I've heard of the extra Belleville arrangement but I understand the replacement cam does away with the 'bait' detent, which I quite like the idea of

SoCalAngler

You are correct no bait detent on the SF cam. But, you can still fish your reel like it has one. All you need to do is push the lever to where you want the drag set for your "bait setting" then once hooked up just push the lever forward to the drag setting you want to fight the fish.

I believe on the smaller reels, SX and MX the cam is called a Kodiak cam and on the JX and HX it's called the South Florida, or at least that's how it was in the past.

I installed the SF cam into a JX hoping to smooth out the drag ramp up above the strike setting. Believe it or not the ramp up above strike was stronger with the SF cam than the stock. Before the strike setting the ramp up was indeed smoother and slower with the SF cam but that was not what I was looking for and went back to the stock cam.

Here is some info about what I did with my JX.
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7246.0

jeff smith

Thanks Socal, that was really interesting. I've ordered four of these cams from my local Avet agent in the UK and, once fitted, will report back on my findings.