What can you fish for in the winter?

Started by gstours, December 22, 2019, 05:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Well lets see?   Up north the weather is always changing it seems.  It also seems like from bad to worse. ;)
Butt once in a while if you are persistant tou will find a prise waiting for you.  Here a little pre christmas clip for the sunday matenaie..

Dominick

Now that is cool.  A fish shaped box.  Good going Gary.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

I use this raised narrow box in the winter as it will keep a couple fish off the floor, and melting ice,snow keeps em cold and drains the water out if above freezing.  The box is raised to allow toe kick room like your kitchen cabinets and extra storage for short boxes.  Its just evolution.
   Butt it works.   I cant wait for another fish on. :)

gstours

The box also gives a flat spot to work on stuff ,  usually the ice is just collected in the parking lot or along the road.  Another pik below.

Lunker Larry

Just had a fresh feed of walley caught through the ice. Going out again this afternoon.
My buddy also caught a 40" sturgeon. Took a while to get that up through the hole with light line and a dinky ice fishing rod.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

gstours

Currently our King salmon sport season reopens about Aug/Sept and so its open during the winter here during the winter, our people populations are low as is the fishing activity.  The king salmon wander around singular or in pairs feeding on what they find.  These fish seem to be scattered.  As spring comes the fishing interest increases as does the weather and in about May the F&G will close the season to allow the fish to migrate in to their spawning rivers as the assessment seems that the kings need protection from the masses.  

Gfish

Gary, do you haveta slow down your trolling speed for wintertime?
Everyone IMO, that loves fishing and pristine rivers/bays, outta go North in the summer months and experience anadromous salmonid fisheries.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Yes,  Mr Gfish,  we usually fish rather shallow and slow,  just enough speed to make a herring or plug/lure to have a lethargic pity of a dying fish animal bait.  I dont thing its the water temp that makes changes necessary as the commercial trollers fish mostly hardware and deep 30-80+ fathoms and are targeting fish more in the open water ..  We do best shallow as its possibly where there is more sunlight/baitfish during the winter.   Everything changes with less sunlight, short days, cooler temps,  its nature adapting to change.  Thanks for the good question.   And Merry Christmas to All!

gstours

I want to wish every person that views this a very Merry Christmas and  Good Health and Peace to everyone. :)