Mac and Cheese (Bechamel-type) and Dungeness Mac and Cheese

Started by jon_elc, December 23, 2019, 05:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon_elc

tried out a new recipe..  made with Gruyere and Cheddar cheese

had to split the batch into a plain mac and cheese, since the kiddo doesn't eat crab

the mrs. said the crab one was too rich and preferred the plain.   oh well, leftovers for me i guess

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

jon_elc

sorry!  super easy!!

INGREDIENTS
Kosher salt
2/3 pound elbow macaroni (I used medium shell pasta)
2 cups whole milk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (I used Kerrigold unsalted butter)
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
1 cup grated extra-sharp (or sharp) Cheddar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
pinch of ground nutmeg
¾ lb pound cooked crab
½ cup toasted breadcrumbs (you can toast these in the toasteroven beforehand)
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Add pasta to a large pot of lightly salted boiling water and cook according to the directions on the package.  Drain well.
3.  toast your breadcrumbs on the stovetop or toaster oven
4. Meanwhile, heat the milk over low heat in a small saucepan. In a large pot over medium low heat, melt butter. Once butter has melted add the flour. Cook over for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. Add the hot milk and cook for a few minutes, whisking continuously until the sauce has thickened and is smooth.
5. Remove from heat and add the Gruyere, Cheddar, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked pasta and crab and stir well. Place the mixture in a medium sized oven safe dish, I used 2 pyrex loaf pans (if you want , split the batch before adding crab to the remaining 1/2).
Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs, thyme, and shred some more cheddar and gruyere on the top.
6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the mac n cheese is browned on the top.
Let it cool a little bit before serving..

jon_elc

and you can use Lobster, Ham, Bacon, maybe even bbq brisket would be delicious.  or skip the protein, like i did in the 1 pan!

Bill B

Thanks brother....putting this on my Must Do list....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

jon_elc

I hope you like it, Bill.  Post up your results here, too!  (if all goes well, haha)