Shakespeare 2062-Penn 712 Comparison

Started by Midway Tommy, December 24, 2019, 03:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 15, 2020, 07:39:09 PM
Quote from: festus on March 15, 2020, 06:44:13 PM
I got a Penn 714Z in the mail last week.  Comparing it to the similar Shakespeare 2052, gotta give the Penn a slight edge with its superior spool assembly.

Looks like a 716Z, their smallest, to me, Chester. They're way too pricey, IMO, in comparison to many other quality ULs of that time frame. That's why I don't have a 716 or 716Z, just a 714Z and I paid too much ($35), IMHO, for it at a flea market swap meet. I refuse to pay what those things bring on eBay.  ::)
Thanks for pointing out the mistake, Tommy.  I corrected it from 714Z to 716Z. 

I usually wouldn't pay as much for a used reel, but got a decent deal on this one and had been looking for quite a while.  Amazing there are quite a few NOS parts still available for these Penn spinners at Mystic.

basto

WOW Tommy
First time I have seen this. Huge effort on your part. Very interesting and THANKS a million.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Midway Tommy

Quote from: festus on March 15, 2020, 07:46:23 PM

Comparing it to the similar Shakespeare 2052, gotta give the Penn a slight edge with its superior spool assembly.

I usually wouldn't pay as much for a used reel, but got a decent deal on this one and had been looking for quite a while.  Amazing there are quite a few NOS parts still available for these Penn spinners at Mystic.

Be careful with that drag knob, they have a tendency to get brittle and crack, and a replacement knob is obsolete. Unless you're lucky enough to find a replacement you have to buy a complete spool assembly, which costs almost as much as the reel is worth.  :o 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Quote from: Midway Tommy on March 16, 2020, 01:42:52 AM
Quote from: festus on March 15, 2020, 07:46:23 PM

Comparing it to the similar Shakespeare 2052, gotta give the Penn a slight edge with its superior spool assembly.

I usually wouldn't pay as much for a used reel, but got a decent deal on this one and had been looking for quite a while.  Amazing there are quite a few NOS parts still available for these Penn spinners at Mystic.

Be careful with that drag knob, they have a tendency to get brittle and crack, and a replacement knob is obsolete. Unless you're lucky enough to find a replacement you have to buy a complete spool assembly, which costs almost as much as the reel is worth.  :o  
Yep, in the past I've read on this forum that Penn spinner spools are prone to cracking.

Mystic sells spool assemblies for $35.50 but I'm not sure it includes the drag knob. https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/47-716Z.aspx

Penn brought back the 704Z and the 706Z which are bringing 200 bucks brand new at Amazon..  So I'm not surprised at the prices of NOS parts for the 716Z.  A NOS housing for a 716Z at Mystic is 46 bucks.  A NOS rotor cup is 20 bucks.  Mystic also has the drag knob for 20 bucks at limited avaliabily of 1 per customer. https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/52-716Z.aspx

Of course the housing cover for the 716Z is no longer available, but they could probably sell beaucoups of those and any others for the Spinfisher 700 series just for the badge..

smnaguwa

Thank you Tommy for your post. I started to service my 2062 and found the rotor hex nut "lock washer" (as in pix 14 of your post) with a bent( looks intentional) tab. What is the best way to straighten the tab to remove the rotor hex nut? Thanks in advance.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: smnaguwa on June 17, 2020, 12:18:56 PM
Thank you Tommy for your post. I started to service my 2062 and found the rotor hex nut "lock washer" (as in pix 14 of your post) with a bent( looks intentional) tab. What is the best way to straighten the tab to remove the rotor hex nut? Thanks in advance.

Just use a medium size screwdriver and pry it away just far enough to turn the nut, don't flatten it out. Excessive bending of the tab will eventually cause it to break off. When you put it back together pinch it back against the nut with pliers.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

smnaguwa

Thanks, Tommy for your helpful advice. -Stan

Gfish

Fer what it's worth: the older 1960's Penn 712's have a brushed aluminium spool(silver colored) and it looks like the latter 70's models had some kinda green fiberglass "reinforced" spools. Could be source of weight diffrence claims if the al. spool's heavier.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Whit

Older thread but the info is totally valid and appreciated.

I have and have fished both reels extensively, and actually prefer he 712 to the 2062 but both are outstanding. 

In the Shakespeare's favor I'd add one other factor: stand comfort and ergonomics.

Where the stand mates with the reel seat the stand on the Shakespeare is a lot thinner than on the 712 and fits a lot flatter to the reel seat.  On the 712 it is lumpy by comparison. 

The difference is not enough to matter if you are not casting and cranking the reel for long periods of time, but if you are, then the Shakespeare edges out the Penn.   

Just my .02 to add grist to the mill of a very interesting thread.

TheCoachZed

Just picked up a 2062 this wk. A bit big on the Bean Pack Rod pictured below (actually an eagle claw) but it works.

Cleaned old grease out, oiled it up, seems very solid...

Except the plastic clicker on back of the spool.

Anyone ever tried 3D printing a replacement? Seems that makes more sense than putting another aged plastic part in.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: TheCoachZed on June 28, 2023, 03:33:32 PMJust picked up a 2062 this wk. A bit big on the Bean Pack Rod pictured below (actually an eagle claw) but it works.

Cleaned old grease out, oiled it up, seems very solid...

Except the plastic clicker on back of the spool.

Anyone ever tried 3D printing a replacement? Seems that makes more sense than putting another aged plastic part in.

Yeah, a 2052 would probably go a little bit better with that pack rod. Just a thought for the future.

You might want to try to find a spool with a metal spring and dawg from an earlier "E" series like the one in the original example. They'll enterchange. Shakespeare cheapened a few things down when they came out with the "D"s.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE