alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Shakespeare 2062-Penn 712 Comparison
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
March 31, 2020, 12:27:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shakespeare 2062-Penn 712 Comparison  (Read 989 times)
tenderloin and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
festus
Sensei

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »

I got a Penn 714Z in the mail last week.  Comparing it to the similar Shakespeare 2052, gotta give the Penn a slight edge with its superior spool assembly.

Looks like a 716Z, their smallest, to me, Chester. They're way too pricey, IMO, in comparison to many other quality ULs of that time frame. That's why I don't have a 716 or 716Z, just a 714Z and I paid too much ($35), IMHO, for it at a flea market swap meet. I refuse to pay what those things bring on eBay.  Roll Eyes
Thanks for pointing out the mistake, Tommy.  I corrected it from 714Z to 716Z. 

I usually wouldn't pay as much for a used reel, but got a decent deal on this one and had been looking for quite a while.  Amazing there are quite a few NOS parts still available for these Penn spinners at Mystic.
basto

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 03:04:30 PM »

WOW Tommy
First time I have seen this. Huge effort on your part. Very interesting and THANKS a million.
Greg

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Triton Mark 3S    Jigging Master PE5n
Midway Tommy
Tom
Sensei

Smack dab in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 05:42:52 PM »

Comparing it to the similar Shakespeare 2052, gotta give the Penn a slight edge with its superior spool assembly.

I usually wouldn't pay as much for a used reel, but got a decent deal on this one and had been looking for quite a while.  Amazing there are quite a few NOS parts still available for these Penn spinners at Mystic.

Be careful with that drag knob, they have a tendency to get brittle and crack, and a replacement knob is obsolete. Unless you're lucky enough to find a replacement you have to buy a complete spool assembly, which costs almost as much as the reel is worth.  Shocked 

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
festus
Sensei

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 07:12:59 PM »

Comparing it to the similar Shakespeare 2052, gotta give the Penn a slight edge with its superior spool assembly.

I usually wouldn't pay as much for a used reel, but got a decent deal on this one and had been looking for quite a while.  Amazing there are quite a few NOS parts still available for these Penn spinners at Mystic.

Be careful with that drag knob, they have a tendency to get brittle and crack, and a replacement knob is obsolete. Unless you're lucky enough to find a replacement you have to buy a complete spool assembly, which costs almost as much as the reel is worth.  Shocked  
Yep, in the past I've read on this forum that Penn spinner spools are prone to cracking.

Mystic sells spool assemblies for $35.50 but I'm not sure it includes the drag knob. https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/47-716Z.aspx

Penn brought back the 704Z and the 706Z which are bringing 200 bucks brand new at Amazon..  So I'm not surprised at the prices of NOS parts for the 716Z.  A NOS housing for a 716Z at Mystic is 46 bucks.  A NOS rotor cup is 20 bucks.  Mystic also has the drag knob for 20 bucks at limited avaliabily of 1 per customer. https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/52-716Z.aspx

Of course the housing cover for the 716Z is no longer available, but they could probably sell beaucoups of those and any others for the Spinfisher 700 series just for the badge..

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:16:58 PM by festus » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: