Delrin under gear washer...

Started by Beachmaster, December 25, 2019, 11:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

I saw this while perusing around on past posts and was wondering where to get the Delrin washer?  Does this go under the gear sleeve?  I am slowly upgrading all of the "too many" Penn reels I have bought off ebay the last several months.  This will specifically be for a 155 for right now.  Also, what size rare earth magnets do I need in order to start playing around with mag-tuning some of these reels?

RowdyW

The delrin washer goes under the main gear (on top of the gear sleeve). You can get delrin washers from Dawn at Smoothdrags.           Rudy

oc1

Didn't you say the reels have plastic spools?  It's difficult to mag a plastic spool.  You could secure magnets to the spool and the tail plate or secure a metal disc under the clicker ratchet so the tail plate magnets have more to suck on to.  I doubt that there is space for enough magnets if they only have the clicker ratchet and journal to attract to.  
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8230.0

The trouble with attaching magnets to the spool flange is that you increase the spool weight.  A light weight spool will cast further.

Get neodymium N52 magnets from KJ Magnetics.  They have a wide variety of shapes and sizes.  Some have a countersunk hole so you can attach it to the tail plate with a screw instead of glue (pay attention to the polarity designation).  Once you have one secured to the side plate you can stack the magnet wafers on top to adjust the gap and strength of the stack.
-steve

Beachmaster

Quote from: oc1 on December 26, 2019, 06:54:20 AM
Didn't you say the reels have plastic spools?  It's difficult to mag a plastic spool.  You could secure magnets to the spool and the tail plate or secure a metal disc under the clicker ratchet so the tail plate magnets have more to suck on to.  I doubt that there is space for enough magnets if they only have the clicker ratchet and journal to attract to.  
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8230.0

The trouble with attaching magnets to the spool flange is that you increase the spool weight.  A light weight spool will cast further.

Get neodymium N52 magnets from KJ Magnetics.  They have a wide variety of shapes and sizes.  Some have a countersunk hole so you can attach it to the tail plate with a screw instead of glue (pay attention to the polarity designation).  Once you have one secured to the side plate you can stack the magnet wafers on top to adjust the gap and strength of the stack.
-steve

Alrighty, I'll just practice more with my casting then. I don't want to go to all that trouble if it doesn't really help much.

Tiddlerbasher

Plastic spools are not worth the effort of magging. What you may gain in cast control you will probably lose in distance and spool balance. It will, however, work very well on any metal spool as long as there is enough space for the magnet(s).

wfjord

Okay, speaking of magging... there's something I've wondered about that someone needs to set me straight on...

A Mag 10 has an aluminum spool... and a magnet has no effect on aluminum, right?  Last time I had my mag 10 apart I was pondering that and it appeared the closest steel to the magnet that I could see is the area of the steel spool shaft where it extends from the spool to lock into the pinion.

If it's the steel spool shaft that's affected by the magnet, shouldn't a magnet conceivably work on reel with a plastic spool if it's got a steel shaft?

oc1

Aluminum spools work very well for magging.  Don't ask me how.  Aluminum is not magnetic but it still creates the Lenze field.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Magnets will work on any spool as long as the core is 'conductive' in the electrical sense, even anodised aluminium. Google 'Lenze's Law/Effect'.