Normal drag and freespool expectations on International 80

Started by williewiskers, December 26, 2019, 03:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

williewiskers

I have MANY senators and am a pro at tuning those up, largely due to this site. However I just got my first International and while its basically has zero wear on its internal parts I am not sure what I should be expecting with regard to drag and free spool. I have the original asbestos donuts and both the drag washers and plates are almost unmarked. My question / problem is I loose freespool at a drag setting that only affords me 15# at the strike position and 20# at full.

With the preset knob turned basically all the way the down I get 32# of drag at strike 45 at full and 15# in free.

I believe for this to be considered an 80# reel It would have to make at least 32# drag with a full spool at sunset. This is how I have it set now; it affords me 20# drag at strike, but still leaves me 2.5# of drag in the FREE position.

I dont know because this is my first of this type if reel, but I think I should have freespool beyond 20# at FULL.

I literally couldnt find a single source on the internet for drag and free spool numbers for this reel. Plenty for the 80S, 80T and newer 80's, but nothing for the original International 80's.

Someone please help me with the info about what I should expect from this reel so I can stop driving myself crazy.

Thank you,
The Wiskers

SoCalAngler

Well that sounds about right to me willie,

The asbestos drags were considered obsolete in the late 70's and early 80's. There was but I'm not sure if there still is a replacement for those donut drag's. At that time it sort of made sense to do the replacement kit. Now a days not so much IMO.

Yep it was much more than the drag washers, there was a drag plate and several other parts to be replaced in the " kit".

Now if you could find one of those kits it would cost more than what the reel is worth IMO. But if you really want to upgrade that reel to a 1990's type spec reel go for it.

Remember these reels at that time were designed around a fighting chair, a boat backing down, a wire man and mate and not made to the later standards.

williewiskers

The plate bonded dura drag kits are available for the inner as outer drags from penn. They are cited as being for the newer 80 and being 1/8" smaller diameter, but work. I normally replace the drags as a point, but the two kits are like $90 from Mystic and I'm not chomping at the bit right now to replace basically new parts. I just wanted to know if my failure to be able to retain freespool at drag numbers resembling those of an 80# reel were some problem with the reel or the way this old reel was made.

I'll eventually upgrade to the dura drag, but will that ago anything for free spool at higher drag settings or just smooth out the drags like in the senators?

Robert Janssen

williewiskers

Stiffer belleville washers will clear my freespool or just just ramp up my drag at the top end and shorten my drag curve? This thing is bone stock, is there a recommended part or place to get these aftermarket washers?

Robert Janssen

All functions and curves remain the same. Stiffer belleville washers will simply provide more pressure throughout the curve, resulting in higher drag numbers.

Install as per stock standard configuration. I do not recommend rearranging the washer stack.

Regarding where to get, i'm sure someone will recommend an online seller, either here or ebay or McMaster or similar. Price, a few bucks.

Penn

You may need to replace the Belville's and drag springs.  If someone left that reel in the strike position for 40 years everything may be a little flat. 

tony

williewiskers

So replacing flattened bellevilles may help clear up freespool or replacing / upgrading the bellevilles will only increase drag across the curve- INCLUDING in freespool?

Im trying to determine if there is any possibility of getting 32# of drag at full spool AND freespool; or if that is a pipe dream.

Ty

williewiskers

Also to be clear about HOW im measuring these drag numbers. Im pulling off the top off the spool (top of the line being 3/8" from the top edge of the spool) with a shimano spring scale and measuring how much tension it takes to BEGIN removing line at each drag and preset position. I check the spring scale with an electronic one. There is about 1lb difference between them.

When I pull harder / faster I get much higher numbers in each position (obviously)

williewiskers

SOLVED!

I have been playing with the drag settings and have found I can achieve 25# drag at strike and 40# at full through all the guides and STILL have enough freespool for the spring scale to fall under it's own insignificant weight. I am very happy with how this worked out - perfect for 80# line.

Thank you all

thorhammer

Tell me the HOW....:)

I have two 80's that I need to bump up drag on...fishing heavy so don't need full freespool; rather lean toward max drag without injury to bearings.

John

williewiskers

Reel is bone stock. I just found sweet spot in the adjustment. I also switched to measuring drag through the guides. I tested each adjustment by pulling up on the rod tied to a spring scale hooked to a door knob. I was able to get the adjustment set so that I had 25 pounds of drag at strike which gave me 40# at FULL

thorhammer