Okuma Catalina 455da clutch problem

Started by retiredandfishing, December 18, 2019, 10:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Working on an Okuma 455da.  Have a problem with the auto clutch release.  Each time I trip the auto clutch  (by cranking the handle forward) it works fine, but there is a 2nd ghost click after the initial lock down of the clutch mechanism as I continue to crank.  Does not happen all the time but frequently and does not seem to affect the reel.  I have another reel in the shop exactly like this one and it does not have that problem. 

I replaced the main and pinion gears and the clutch cam as those were worn.  I did the same thing on the other reel that doesn't have this problem.  Anyone know anything about a problem like this?

Thanks, Steve

festus

I don't have an answer, but used to own a Daiwa Black Widow that did the same.  As you said, it didn't affect the reel, and I used it for years without a problem.

Porthos

alantani

ambassadeur 700's did the same thing.  a 2-stage click. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

oc1

Quote from: Porthos on December 19, 2019, 01:14:22 AM
Perhaps the pinion engaging the spool?
I suspect Wai is correct.  The first click is the yoke and all that stuff dropping down and the second click is the pinion firmly seating itself on the spool.
-steve

retiredandfishing

I think your are correct.  I greased the heck out of the pinion seat and the spool shaft seat it fits into.  Problem went away.  May only be a temporary fix though

The old pinions I took out had a small ledge worn into the seat where the pinion hit first then seated itself down further,  so it appears this is a minor design flaw.

Jimmer

Removing the auto shift mechanism increases gear life about 5x. That is what I do with my magdas, convectors and catalinas.  -  Jimmer
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

retiredandfishing

My preference as well. I have recommended this to others.  This customer is a commercial fisherman.

In Oregon when commercial fishing with poles, the pole must be attached to the rod holder and be allowed only to pivot up and down and side to side and cannot be lifted from the pole holder and is attached in that manner. Consequently when the commercial fisherman is sitting back by his kicker, manning 3 to 4 poles, some want only to have to crank the reel handle to stop decent. I can see the benefit to that.