Mitchell 402?

Started by Beachmaster, December 28, 2019, 09:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

I have a chance to buy a nice 402 on a bamboo rod for $40.  The reel is in good condition with very little cosmetics and it functions fine. I don't care about the rod but they won't separate the rod from the reel. Is this a good deal and worth it for using it as a surf and pier reel or would I be better served with a Penn or a DAM Quick 550?

Dominick

$40...Jump on it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

That is a Salt Water High Speed Reel in Dark Blue.

At that low price for a decent functioning SW HS Mitchell -- you could break the rod in half on your way out the door -- toss it in the trash can -- and still double your money any time you wish.

Or sell the rod on CL for $20 -- a now you have a $20 investment.

IMO...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

just make sure the foot isn't broken

sometimes, "they won't separate the rod from the reel"

'cause it's glued on & it's a "wall-combo"  :(

Beachmaster

Hmmm...the whole handle is taped up real good with electrical tape. You got me wondering now.

philaroman

regardless of whether, they're selling it as cabin décor, or functional tackle

the tape doesn't belong, unless it's hiding something

oc1

.... like a busted stand.
-steve

Jim Fujitani

Keep us updated on what you decide.... even if the stand is broken, you may have some unobtainium parts in good condition.

The last spinning reel that I bought new was a 302, I think back in '77.  I bought another, used and cheap, on-line just for the parts in about '05.

Gfish

Just in case, you could check out the avalibility of a good stand/gear box part before jumpin...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tiddlerbasher

Quote from: Beachmaster on December 28, 2019, 09:17:33 PM
I have a chance to buy a nice 402 on a bamboo rod for $40.  The reel is in good condition with very little cosmetics and it functions fine. I don't care about the rod but they won't separate the rod from the reel. Is this a good deal and worth it for using it as a surf and pier reel or would I be better served with a Penn or a DAM Quick 550?

I'm not seeing any photos - is that just me?