MyQuick 110N is missing some parts...

Started by Beachmaster, December 29, 2019, 10:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

Reread Fred's reply about shortcuts.   ::) ::)

Beachmaster

Quote from: RowdyW on December 30, 2019, 04:48:53 AM
Reread Fred's reply about shortcuts.   ::) ::)
Thanks. Learned the hard way. On the plus side, I learned a lot about the reel and how it works and now I have parts available for a replacement reel.

foakes

Rats...But his is still an easy save --

First, the entire reel needs to be disassembled, cleaned with a degreaser or simple green on the painted parts.

The stronger metal parts that are not painted need to be soaked in a HD mineral degreaser like lacquer thinner, carb cleaner -- or similar.  This includes the bearing.  Pop off and discard the bearing shields before cleaning.  Regrease the bearing with a 60/40 mixture of grease and synthetic oil.  Clean out the crank bushing and the inside of the worm drive with "0000" steel wool wrapped around a drill bit.

Then...glue the broken off pivot nub back into the exact position that it broke off from.

Then drill a small countersink hole in the middle of the nub -- and run a countersunk screw from the top down and out through the exterior of the frame casing -- secured with nut and lock washer.

Then I would send you a new A/R dog -- along with any other parts you might require.

Hint -- always pull out the A/R stop pin when installing a new A/R dog -- much easier.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Beachmaster

Okay, I will have to try that when I get home. You don't think that maybe some JB Weld to secure the nub back would work?

foakes

Might work -- and possibly stay in place over the next 40 years of fishing.  That nub is the focus/receiving pressure point of the A/R system that stops the rotation of the rotor head.

If you would like to have your DQ 110N reel restored to as close to new -- it would run you $50, including any parts needed.  This includes a full restore, including paint.

Shipping would run another $18 for the round trip, via Priority Mail.

Here are some that were restored for a client a couple of months ago -- all but one, were much worse than the condition of yours.

He was happy with the outcome of each reel -- and is in the process of sending out another group of 35 DQ reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Beachmaster

Holy smokes that is awesome Fred!  When I get home I am going to JB Weld the nub back in, have to do that anyway, then I will see how that holds up.  I won't be doing any fishing other than panfish or crappie with this reel. I'll send you a PM later on.  I may use your service in the future too!  Right now I just enjoy working on reels myself and I am just starting out. 

This all started back in August when I was going on a trip to Port Aransas and I was getting my fishing gear together, which consisted of three Abu Garcia 5000 reels I bought new about 20 years ago.  I had an old reel my Grandfather gave me just before he passed and it's been in my garage for about six years. I saw it while I was grabbing my gear for the trip and decided I would take it down and look at it closer. I honestly had no idea what it was. I just thought it was an old and outdated reel that I would never use. It was mounted on some sort of boat rod with a pulley at the tip. 
I began searching online after I got the name "Penn Senator" off the reel,(I had no idea what that was at the time).  The education began right there and then, and I have developed this relentless habit of purchasing vintage reels from EBay. I probably have over 20 now.  The Penn my Grandfather gave me turned out is a 4/0 Senator. I worked all night one night tearing it down and cleaned, lubed and spoiled with 30# mini for shark.  I was hooked from that point on.  Later on I found out about the Quicks and have about six of those. 
I love all things vintage (I'm only 40) and the quality that things used to be made. I just love these vintage reels and the joy they bring when I pick one up for a good deal and am able to tear it down and bring it back to life.  I gave my brother a Penn 155 I refurbished from eBay for his Christmas present. It had a plastic spool so I began with half the spool 50# Dacron then 20# mono to finish it off.  The look on his face was priceless when he opened it up. 
I am rambling on now, sorry!  I am looking forward to purchasing more Quicks soon... looking at a couple 550's for my saltwater fishing in the summers.  I think they will do the job I need for the surf and maybe pier fishing too.

foakes

There is a lot of pleasure and confidence gained by learning how to work on these old high quality fishing reels!

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

festus

Great story on how you stepped into the vintage reel repair hobby, Beachmaster. 

Penn conventionals and D-A-M Quicks are definitely habit forming. 

In the meantime, just got back from the mailbox and unboxed this slightly used 110N.  It is very hard to turn the handle, probably gawmed up with 40 year old grease.  We'll find out soon.

Beachmaster

Quote from: festus on December 30, 2019, 06:03:11 PM
Great story on how you stepped into the vintage reel repair hobby, Beachmaster. 

Penn conventionals and D-A-M Quicks are definitely habit forming. 

In the meantime, just got back from the mailbox and unboxed this slightly used 110N.  It is very hard to turn the handle, probably gawmed up with 40 year old grease.  We'll find out soon.
Wow! That is great!

Beachmaster

Quote from: foakes on December 30, 2019, 05:38:42 PM
There is a lot of pleasure and confidence gained by learning how to work on these old high quality fishing reels!

Best,

Fred

Fred, I purchased another 110N off ebay when I got back from xmas vacay.  Not a bad deal for around $30.  Upon inspection of the new to me 110N I noticed that my previous 110N (the one that I broke the AR Dog post) has other problems.  The spool is cracked in half on it as well.  I reluctantly admit that I thought that was just the way the little reel was built, with a two piece spool ::)  So, for now, I am going to use my "crappy" 110N as a parts reel for if I ever need some internal parts; I will fish the most recent one I have as it is in great condition as far as I can tell(haven't broken it completely down as of yet). 

foakes

A 110 plastic spool and a 265 Microlite metal spool will interchange between each of those reels.

Don't ever try to install a 110 or 265 spool on a 110N -- it will slip on very easily -- and will require cutting a part to remove it.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on January 10, 2020, 03:54:20 AM
Don't ever try to install a 110 or 265 spool on a 110N -- it will slip on very easily -- and will require cutting a part to remove it.

I didn't know this! Thanks for that tip Fred!

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on January 10, 2020, 05:24:28 PM
Quote from: foakes on January 10, 2020, 03:54:20 AM

I didn't know this! Thanks for that tip Fred!

This is true on all DQ reels in the "N" series -- except the big 550 size reels.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.