Penn 10/0

Started by steelhead_killer, December 31, 2019, 07:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

So,  to say finding big Senators in Idaho is hard, really is an understatement.  But apparently some folks used them for winching in sturgeon on the Snake River over the years.  I found this one in a pawn shop for $50.00 including tax.  Needs some love but it will do for my limited collection.

><)))">

Swami805

Nice! $50 well spent. Looks like an earlier reel
Do what you can with that you have where you are

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

steelhead_killer

Admittedly, I am no expert at determining the age of these things.  I will clean it up and see what I got...
><)))">

Maxed Out

Can't tell from picture, but I'm guessing the spool arbor has a hole instead of a line tie post. The coin edge cb and thin front harness lugs and 1st gen logo all point to an early 40's gen2.

I can honestly say this is the first light chocolate brown knob I've seen. Very unique

Nice score Andy. I'd put a minimum value at $200

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Sharkb8

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oc1

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 31, 2019, 11:47:20 PM
light chocolate brown knob
Caramel?  A really pointy one too.
-steve

steelhead_killer

Ted:

Looks like the knob was covered with some type of paint.  None of the parts have part numbers.  Spool has a hole in it.  Thanks for the info guys!

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 31, 2019, 11:47:20 PM
Can't tell from picture, but I'm guessing the spool arbor has a hole instead of a line tie post. The coin edge cb and thin front harness lugs and 1st gen logo all point to an early 40's gen2.

I can honestly say this is the first light chocolate brown knob I've seen. Very unique

Nice score Andy. I'd put a minimum value at $200

-Ted
><)))">

54bullseye

Looks to me knob has been messed with some of groves are sanded or filed down and possible paint of some kind. Still a steal at that price !!   John Taylor

Maxed Out

Quote from: 54bullseye on January 01, 2020, 11:22:56 PM
Looks to me knob has been messed with some of groves are sanded or filed down and possible paint of some kind. Still a steal at that price !!   John Taylor

John, it looks like paint filled those grooves.
I bet that paint would come right off with a bit of mineral spirits
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Donnyboat

Very nice find Andy, thanks for posting, being an very early model adds more value to it, yes you might be able to remove the paint with turps,cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelhead_killer

After a bath...

><)))">

steelhead_killer

Only thing I can add is that it has the flat spring for the dog.  Which in reading the schematic from Mystic says that was only on the early models.  Metal drag washers were brass/bronze.  The handle nut was unusual too.  My Tani wrench did not fit.  However the smoothdrag wrench if it is there's did work just fine.  Knob has been painted, twice.  Looks like the base coat was purple, then the brown color.  The knob under it all appears to be black.  If I go at this with some mineral spirits can someone give me some guidance on how to do it without potentially damaging the original color if it is wood?  I think I would be safe if it is the plastic know as they are solid colored, I think.  But if it is wood...

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

broadway

Alex,
   You may find the mineral spirits doesn't cut the mustard.  If not, you can use a paint stripper gel and stay with it, don't walk away.  It will happen fast.  I would apply, when it bubbles remove what ya can, then continue with another coat, and so on.  small steps. I did this with a bayside that was completely covered with a coating that nothing could touch till the stripper.  It didn't damage anything, but if I left it on the side plates or handle it would have blistered them.  Careful on plastic especially.
As a side note, the mold plug that is in your 10/0 is certainly uncommon as I don't have a 10/0 with the "old school" plug whether first gen, early second gen, or late 40's second gen. nor can I remember seeing many with it either.
The 12/0 is the one commonly seen with that mold plug, so  I say score on the price and score on the harder to find head plate.
Enjoy her,
Dom