Penn 10/0

Started by steelhead_killer, December 31, 2019, 07:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Thanks Dom!  Good to know!  I'll proceed slowly with the stripper and hopefully all is good!  I'll post a pic after I am done.  Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Andy

Quote from: broadway on January 03, 2020, 02:52:18 AM
Alex,
   You may find the mineral spirits doesn't cut the mustard.  If not, you can use a paint stripper gel and stay with it, don't walk away.  It will happen fast.  I would apply, when it bubbles remove what ya can, then continue with another coat, and so on.  small steps. I did this with a bayside that was completely covered with a coating that nothing could touch till the stripper.  It didn't damage anything, but if I left it on the side plates or handle it would have blistered them.  Careful on plastic especially.
As a side note, the mold plug that is in your 10/0 is certainly uncommon as I don't have a 10/0 with the "old school" plug whether first gen, early second gen, or late 40's second gen. nor can I remember seeing many with it either.
The 12/0 is the one commonly seen with that mold plug, so  I say score on the price and score on the harder to find head plate.
Enjoy her,
Dom

><)))">

Alto Mare

Nice reel Andy, you did good!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

Dom the stripper you recommended was outstanding, (Paint Stripper).  Paint was covering up an epoxy repair job of the cracked knob.  Love the color!  Can the knobs be polished?  The epoxy comes right off but it took the finish off the knob where it was applied.

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

steelhead_killer

Sal that is so kind.  Thank you for the offer.  I want to keep it as I found it.  Yes that knob has been cracked and epoxy has been applied.  Some #0000 steel wool took the epoxy off.  Has anyone been able to buff or polish these knobs back to shiny?

Thanks again Sal you generosity is heartfelt.

Andy
><)))">

Alto Mare

Not a problem Andy, offer doesn't expire in case you change your mind in the future.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Maxed Out

Looking good Andy. Turned out great considering what you started with
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Really cool knob Andy.  Now, it's your civic duty to tell us how you did it.
-steve

steelhead_killer

Steve it just took time and patience.  Stripper scrap, repeat. 0000 wool with some oil. Polishing wheel on the Dremel.

Andy
><)))">

Sharkb8

Done a good job Andy nice colour handle

Kim

broadway

Well done Andy! She shined up a treat.
Thanks for the pro tip on how to polish it after.
Enjoy that reel,
Dom

mo65

Who would ever dream that under that paint was a blue knob...the most scarce color of early knobs. I can almost hear the original owner whining "Everyone else's knobs are a lovely green or brown but mine is this hideous blue". Great restoration Andy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

Nice work! One of my fav reels.