AVET SX 5.0:1- DRAG PRESET KNOB #42 KEEPS MOVING WHEN LEVER ARM # 36 IS MOVED.

Started by SNAPS, January 01, 2020, 07:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNAPS

Hi Guys-what happening is the preset Knob # 42 turns whenever the Lever Arm # 36 is moved from free spool to strike, and back to freespool, the preset knob does not stay put.

I am baffled-it is a Friends reel and he couldn't figure the cause, he thinks I would have better luck, and he is a mechanic !!

Any Suggestions ??

All the parts are there, nothing missing.

alantani

there should be a spring under the preset knob.  make sure it's there. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Donnyboat

Yes Alan is correct, if it does not have a spring, then find one, or make one up, also I have some fuel resistant gasket goo, that I was not happy with, on the top of my fuel tank, so I use it on the thread, of that knob. or on the thread of the reel, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

SoCalAngler

Make sure the parts are in the correct order. The ones you may want to look at first start at the adjustment screw/knob. Part #23, then as follows, #24, #25, #26 and then the two #27's.

I assume your talking about the 5.3 reels and not the older models. If it is older model than the 5.3's I will have to dig a bit deeper as there was more "adjustments" to the older reels.

Schematic here for the 5.3's
https://www.avetreels.net/parts/sx-series/sx-53.html

SNAPS

Thank You for all the replies.
Alan yes the spring is there as are all the parts.
Socal angler it is the 5.0:1 with the black aluminum barrel handle.
I dug up the schematic, and the assembly is correct according to the schematic.
Today I took a bunch of photos and e mailed them to avet with an explanation of the issues.
Surprisingly the bearings are great, the reel is pristine, not a bit of corrosion anywhere, these reels are so simple and strong,  it is a real shame their brgs are crap.
Thanks Guys healthy and happy new year to all!!!

SoCalAngler

Quote from: SNAPS on January 04, 2020, 12:23:24 AM
Today I took a bunch of photos and e mailed them to avet with an explanation of the issues.
Surprisingly the bearings are great, the reel is pristine, not a bit of corrosion anywhere, these reels are so simple and strong,  it is a real shame their brgs are crap.

Hope you get it worked out.

IMO the bearings are not bad in Avet reels. For most of the bearing issues, which in most of the cases is the pinion bearing, are because people fish more drag than the reel was designed for. Also Avet's suggestion of fully dunking your reel for cleaning just does not sit right to me and could create more problems. I have Avet reels what are around 14 years old that still have the stock bearings in them and their fine.

I'm not some huge Avet fan that just spouts how good they are, I fish Newell, Penn, Daiwa, ProGear and even still have one Shimano in my line up.

I just feel most of their bearing problems are caused by the end user.

akfish

It could be that the pinion bearing is bad but this only shows up when there is a lot of pressure on it. I've had similar problem with older EX4/02 reels.

That said, I have to agree that Avet bearings are not bad, or at least no worse quality than the bearings that come in other reels. Fished within there specs and kept free of saltwater, and Avet bearings will last several seasons.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

SNAPS

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 04, 2020, 06:27:44 PM
Quote from: SNAPS on January 04, 2020, 12:23:24 AM

Hope you get it worked out.

IMO the bearings are not bad in Avet reels. For most of the bearing issues, which in most of the cases is the pinion bearing, are because people fish more drag than the reel was designed for. Also Avet's suggestion of fully dunking your reel for cleaning just does not sit right to me and could create more problems. I have Avet reels what are around 14 years old that still have the stock bearings in them and their fine.

I'm not some huge Avet fan that just spouts how good they are, I fish Newell, Penn, Daiwa, ProGear and even still have one Shimano in my line up.

I just feel most of their bearing problems are caused by the end user.

I Take that Back, the only brg I have had fail is the Pinion bearing due to high drag setting.

SNAPS

Quote from: akfish on January 04, 2020, 10:51:24 PM
It could be that the pinion bearing is bad but this only shows up when there is a lot of pressure on it. I've had similar problem with older EX4/02 reels.

That said, I have to agree that Avet bearings are not bad, or at least no worse quality than the bearings that come in other reels. Fished within there specs and kept free of saltwater, and Avet bearings will last several seasons.
Not the Pinion Brg, it is quite and smooth.

Gfish

Does any manufacturer sell Lever Drag reels that come new with an angular contact bearing, or some other bearing designed to withstand lateral force better than a standard radial style pinion bearing?

I know there's gotta be some weak link in a reel's system, that breaks before the gears or some other expensive part, but this pinion bearing failure thing seems to be too common. Maybe better/angular conact bearings, are cost prohibitive for reel companies?

Keep us updated SNAPS.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

SoCalAngler

Yes the Penn Torque and Fathom lever drags have a thrust bearing.

Edit: The number one way not to screw up a pinion bearing in LD reels is to follow the drag recs. by the manufacture. And, not to crank up the preset knob and push the lever forward just to see what it feels like. I bet more bearings are damaged this way before a fish is caught on a LD reel.

The design of a LD reel is different than a star drag so one must take care and understand the difference.

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL