The Daiwa 8700

Started by mo65, January 02, 2020, 10:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

You're a clever guy Mo.
-steve

mo65

Thanks for the compliments guys. And Chester, the rotor and the spool appear to be the only parts larger on the 8700. I made a few observations though while working on this thing, pertaining to the larger spool. First observation---it doesn't have a 3-stack drag like the 8600, it's sporting a "onesie"! Yep, a single teflon drag. Second observation---when the spool is at full outer extension the bail won't clear it when opening! At first I though maybe my bail was tweaked, but it would take a hell of a lot more than a tweak to eliminate this problem. I'm guessing it's just a quality control oversight. For me, it's not enough to really tarnish these killer reels, it's just one of those "it is what it is" moments.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Getting back to the gearbox, I found this 8700 to be much cleaner than the 8600 I serviced. The photo below shows it held a few greases, but they were fresh and soft. The bearings slid out very easily. In the second pic you can see there are no markings on these bearings. They seem to be great quality though. The pinion isn't a plated steel item in this reel, but a stainless steel variety. The drive gear was the same alloy as the 8600, and had the same steel AR ratchet also. The last photo indicates that nice brass bushing that the spool shaft rides on. I'll tackle the rotor reassembly next. 8)

mo65

The rotor had to be completely torn down, as the bail was very gritty and slow. We've discussed before how the least bit of crud under the bail arms just destroys performance. After getting everything back together I decided to test that single friction washer drag set up. I was shocked at the results...and as I've said more than once around here...when it comes to drags there are no rules. The 3-stack drag(six washers total) produced about 10lbs. max power. Well, the "onesie" drag(3 washers total) also produced 10lbs. maximum! If you look at the bottom of the spools, you'll see the 3-stack spool has an odd look. It doesn't have much surface area contacting the under spool washer...maybe that explains why it doesn't make more power. Both systems operate much smoother with carbon fiber friction washers, but the more complex system offered no power advantage...at all! I've got a freakin' headache...carry on. 8)

Chuck750ss

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on January 10, 2020, 12:08:34 PM
My bail doesn't interfere with the line while casting either.  Mine also doesn't stack line higher in the middle of the spool. That is an unusual problem to have. I've seen different reels stack high or low on a spool which is usually pretty easy to fix...not sure what you could do with heavy center line lay.
Kevin, 2 8700's, Penn 704 in middle for comparison. Notice that the 704 bail flips back further, completely clearing any line coming off the reel.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: festus on March 18, 2020, 10:24:21 PM
Simple fix for a part it might take years to find a replacement.  Good job, Michael. 

That 8700 must be a hoss.  Biggest I have is the 8600 and it's difficult to imagine an even bigger one.
Same reel except 8700 has bigger rotor and spool. 8600 spool will work on 8700.

mo65

Quote from: Chuck750ss on March 31, 2020, 02:14:51 AM
[ Notice that the 704 bail flips back further, completely clearing any line coming off the reel.

Thanks for posting that pic Chuck. I think it may have helped me crack this case. I looked at my reel and tried to imagine what would cause the bail to only open half way. Then I remembered that bottom bail arm will spin on the bail. I zoomed on your pic and there it was...they are on upside down! I turned mine over just to confirm, and sure as a day is long, the bail only opened half way. I took a pic of the correct side up and below it is the wrong side up. Note the bail position in the pics. 8)

Dominick

Yep!  Post a problem and one of our reel geniuses will figure it out.  Nice work Mo.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Chuck750ss

Thanks. I own 2 8700's and a 8600. All are like that. BTW, all 3 were purchased like that. Should have had my thinking cap on. And I did not! Not a first for me though.

mo65

Quote from: Chuck750ss on March 31, 2020, 07:10:51 PM
Thanks.

You are welcome. You mentioned earlier your wife used these reels...I bet she'll cast 'em like a bullet now! Glad I could help. 8)

Chuck750ss

Mo, these are excellent catfishing reels. Along with Shakespeare 2090/91.

BCT7

Quote from: mo65 on January 02, 2020, 10:04:34 PM

I just received my 8700 in the mail. I have not had a chance to do anything but it spins freely and smoothly so that is good. May I ask where did you get the round knob for the handle?

Also, I just realize that the screw that attached the bail to the rotor, not sure what it is called, it is bent  :( I appreciate if anyone has advice where to look for a replacement screw.

The Fishing Hobby

I just had someone asking me on my video about the 8700 and if there were any actually sold in the USA. I'll send him here to check yours out, thanks for the post MO!!!