Knots and Science

Started by swill88, January 03, 2020, 12:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

oc1

Yes, that is interesting Steve; especially the part about the role of twists.  The next step would be for them to evaluate knots based on breaking strength (as percent of line strength) instead of how easily they slip loose.
-steve

Rivverrat

Of the things I do I am an arborist (Monkey with a Saw) by trade.  It surprises me the number of people in this trade that essentially are clueless regarding knots but yet  luck trust a knot to hold them safely. This line in the video that shows areas of high stress is a neat tool. Neat video... Jeff

Ron Jones

The last statement blows me away, as it always does. Scientists are always baffled that humans have a capability if they can't figure out how we developed the capability. They also are blown away when something humans have known for yonks and not described scientifically holds true. I'm never certain if it is being pompous or is just an abject lack of common sense.
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rivverrat

Quote from: Ron Jones on January 03, 2020, 03:07:08 AM
... I'm never certain if it is being pompous or is just an abject lack of common sense.

Ya I noticed that also. The simplicity of doing something, taking mental notes & making changes along the way until the desired goal is achieved seems to be beyond them.

It's one reason we see some getting all giddy watching monkeys use sticks to get at ants or other mall critters they eat. Seeing this I have to ask myself do they really have a basic understanding of the animal they are studying ?

oc1

Yeah, sometimes science just describes the obvious.  Instead of thinking of it as invention, think of it as educational material.
-steve

Rivverrat

Steve, Ron & myself may not understand the basis of asking, how did man ever arrive at a a point where he could tie a proper knot ?

What I'm attempting to say is their may be some  reasoning lying behind the question that I'm not picking up on.

However it seems in a some what twisted way to be post-structuralism. Regardless its a neat video... Jeff

swill88

Dominick

A knotty problem to be sure... ???  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

MarkT

It's knot a big deal.  Some science wonks got some grant money to figure out some common sense... bigger deal!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Mark, there you go again with your sensible, logical & likely probable approach of seeing things  :D... Jeff

philaroman

gotta get me some mood line, to braid a leash for my pet rock   ;D ;D ;D

seriously, why not just look at a clear filament under a microscope...

I'm sure that would show more, than grossly overpriced cordage "in a bad mood"