reel ID

Started by elcarlstono, January 03, 2020, 02:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elcarlstono

Hi, my brother got me this reel for Christmas knowing I like to restore these old things.  ANy help ID'ing this model would be appreciated.  It looks to me like either a Montague or an OC.  Says "Surf" on the side and 200 under the foot.
Thanks in advance!

philaroman

I have a tiny 40-yd w/ similar stand...  always thought it was an unmarked Hendryx

oc1

Perhaps not Montague or Ocean City.  Hendrix sounds good.  Could also be Union Hardware.  Ask over at ORCA,
-steve

philaroman

HA, HA -- searched for "raised pillar multiplier" to make sure I had correct terminology, AND

this was LITERALLY 1st photo:  https://www.mullocksauctions.co.uk/lot-696128-reels_3_winchester_model_no_2944_raised_pillar.html

elcarlstono

Ha, I saw the same ad! Yes it is almost identical to the Winchester except that it doesn't say Winchester on it. Trade reel from them?

philaroman

I thought Winchester was an OEM (for old multipliers -- if not for 90's? round baitcaster revival)
as I understand, the stand (esp., how it's attached to the frame) is manufacturer-specific for raised pillar multipliers
possibly, the only reliable first-glance characteristic to identify OEM of unbranded/rebranded reels
if you see the same thing, where the OEM is known -- that's pretty much it
if not Winchester, Montague is a good guess just because they rebranded more than most

Midway Tommy

Here are the benefits to being a paid participating member of Old Reel Collectors Association (ORCA)!  :)

Per ORCA: "WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS CO, (of New Haven, CT.)  Known briefly as "H-I", this company went into manufacturing reels when they bought Hendryx in 1919 and continued until they sold the reel division to Horrocks & Ibottson in 1931.  Barney and Berry was one of the many names used on fishing tackle by Winchester Repeating Arms Co. Originally a 19th century Massachusetts producer of metal products, they were purchased by Winchester in 1919. Winchester stamped the Barney & Berry name on fishing products from 1924 until 1930. Armax was also a trademark of the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. and used on fishing tackle from 1922 until c1930. Most of the Winchester reels were available to sporting goods jobbers with the Armax label, so this trademark can be found stamped in fly reels, multipliers and salt water reels. Although identical to the Winchester models, Armax reels are usually worth quite a bit less than those marked Winchester. One identifying feature of Winchester-made reels is a fine line found under the yardage stamped on the foot of the many trade reels made by Winchester. Some of the known trade companies are: Pennell, Hendryx, UTK, Barney and Berry, Basscaster, Franklin, Crown, and (Allcock Laight & Westwood reels with underlined yardage mark were probably post 1931 by H-I)."

Since it is unbranded, figuring out who sold it may take forever.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

elcarlstono

Thanks, everyone, I think we can call this mystery solved and we'll go with Winchester.

Penn Chronology

Sure looks like an old Pflueger to me. Especially with that foot.