Main Menu

Oops 😬?.

Started by gstours, January 03, 2020, 05:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As some of you have been following my findings on diy welding rings a surprise just reared it's ugly head.
  I welded a ring using threes swivels to mock up A terminal tackle three way swivel that I favor and tested it with confidence 😫.   The unused Rosco black swivel is rated at 175# and the "cheepo larger one was expected to possibly fail butt here's my surprise!

gstours

There's some noticeable elongation of the swivels and the ring seemed fine butt?  Is this acceptable?
  The last picture is 4 more of the failed lot and they could hold a hundred pounds of pull.
  A couple of folks mentioned in my earlier post of failure aimed at the diy ring butt this might be a whole new topic for someone with nothing better to do?🎣.  We are all in this world together.🌊🧜‍♂️🌊

El Pescador

Gary,

"Failure is NOT an option" -

https://www.tackledirect.com/spro-power-swivels.html

Try the SPRO Brand of power swivels!!!   See what your 100 lbs. pull test outcome looks like using SPRO Brand.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Hardy Boy

While its not great to see the failure of the swivels under their rating I would still think that you would not see a failure in a fishing situation as I imagine you will be putting no more than 20 pounds or so of drag at the most so you are still way under what the gear fails at. Have you tried testing your mail line and leader knots ? What pull does it take to straighten out your hooks? There will always be one point that is weaker than anything else. The question is what does it break at, and is that substantially more strain than you will ever put on the gear with your rod and reel ? I fish 80 or 100 lb braid for bottom fish but use a 60 lb leader so that I can hopefully break off the gear in the case of bottom snags (even that is hard to do) ................. just some thoughts.

Its still fun to test and play around in the winter months.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on January 03, 2020, 05:30:06 PM
Gary,

"Failure is NOT an option" -

Wayne

Wayne the whole idea of the test is to get to the failure point.  Failure is a successful test.  Got it?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

philaroman

hmmm, how does that bode for my 20 & 30 lb. Rosco's?

gstours

👌 ok, now I've got your attention  ::)  I agree with the failure as part of the testing process. And as mr. Hardchad mentored, I'm not going to be able to pull more than 40# of drag on the monster fish and i agree something has to give, butt I certainly wouldn't put on a 40# rated swivel on the bitter end of things .
   This brings more opinions to surface and it's all welcome to me,  is chineeze stuff generally thought of as inferior for the cost?  These were made in USA 🇺🇸 swivels the pkg showed.  Or were they? 
I agree with Alan's 30% line rating for max drag theory and sort of the same may go for terminal tackle as everything needs an insurance factor if you are trying to insure your success.
  Ps.  I also agree with Wayne on the spro tackle as premium stuff,  Butt generally I oversize as my little halibut aren't tackle shy. 
  What should the breaking strength of a product be ?   50-80%?   What the rating mean.?  For rods a rating is one thing, for snaps maybe another?     Anyway I shared now you can laugh 🤭

Gfish

Good test. Lookin at the way the the Rosco's failed kinda makes sense given the way the're constructed. I want my swivels stronger than my line. Could be 1 side pulls out first, then the other. The silver ones have 1 insert piece on each side and seem to me like they'ed be stronger, the ball bearing ones have probably 1 insert piece(?) above the balls.
Love tests! Thanks for posting.
Can anything named "Rosco" be that good?...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

Rosco is budget Sampo...  same Company (premium US-made, allegedly)

their product is almost 50% weaker than stated -- AND THAT'S THE NICE WAY OF SAYING IT!!!

more critical phrasing, would be that they're claiming lb-test almost 200% of actual strength

looks like my go-to swivels will have to be Japanese, like my hooks

gstours

As the weather is poor i,m indoors.  And thanks for the replys and info.  A while ago I did some fishing line knot testing in my shop.  I found out a lot of things about what was about the knots, and about the line tested.   One of the things I found out was the "flaw" in my testing.  on this forum there were experts that stated that there is no uniform testing method so my tests were inconclusive to" them"!
   I,m only trying to learn about gear and science may help.   If manufactured tackle breaks it should be close to the stated rating.
I strongly think and agree that better tackle costs more like appliances and automobiles.   Butt I know that most tackle and reels are never tested let alone knots, swivels, snaps, and line.   Maybe using the doubling the needed strength factor is the answer?
   I can well remember a strong healthy King Salmon popping a 30# swivel a few years ago.  The cost wasent the factor, I thought " oh it will be fine" and it still hurts,  was it my fault.  coudla shoulda.    lets have a great new year! :-*

MarkT

Man, winter must've settled in! If it's good under realistic fishing conditions then it's good.  Chinese made can be ok, it just depends on which flavor of chinesium they're made from... after all, iPhones are made in China... if you're into that. My phone is made in Korea.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!