Got my first 6/0 Senator and 114HL from the "Ohana"!

Started by Beachmaster, January 04, 2020, 03:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

Picked up a Senator 114 6/0 off ebay shipped for $39.  Going to use it for shark fishing from the beach in Texas.  This is a BIG reel, to me anyways. I know there are much larger ones Penn made and I can't imagine the size and weight of them!
Anyway, got this one all tore down tonight and soaking in degreaser for 24 hours and ready to rebuild later on this week.  I will be looking to slowly upgrade this reel before summer gets here.  A few things I want to do right off the bat is carbon fiber drags.  What is the best way to update the drags?  Next would be going with stainless steel gears and whatever else I can make more robust in the guts.  Depending on the cost to upgrade to SS I may put off that till her second season.

Shark Hunter

The 6/0 is a nice reel. Kudos on the breakdown.
If you are going for Shark, This reel is no slouch, but I would lean more toward a 114H.
High Speed, Bigger Drags and just a more robust reel for your goal.
PM me your address.
I can send you one for free. You just pay the shipping.
In Alantani.com terms. This is called paying it forward.
All I ask is that you pay it forward down the road.
This is the type of thing that makes this site great, and I enjoy doing it every single time. ;D

Life is Good!

Sharkb8

Nice offer you a top-notch bloke Daron

Kim

RowdyW

Beachmaster, if you decide to go with the 114 6/0 I would just go with a new set of CF drags (5 stack) from Mystic. It looks like it already has a heat treated steel main gear, the pinion gear is s/s. You can stay with the brass gear sleeve until it starts to round off where the handle attaches and then go for a s/s gear sleeve & dog. Take Daron up on the 114H reel it is a better reel for hop ups. The gear ratio on the 6/0 is 2 to 1 & the Special Senator (with red or moroon plates) 114H is 2.8 to 1. There are more hop up parts available for the H model, plus the H model has ball bearings to support the spool.          Rudy

Donnyboat

Hi Beachmaster, I would take Daron up on his offer, you can bet if Daron has placed a reel together, it will be top notch, very kind offer Daron, of coarse, if your not comfortable about it you could always send Daron some money, to his email address Via pay pal. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

Kudos Daron - the Ohana at work or is that play :)

Beachmaster

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 04, 2020, 07:33:21 AM
If you are going for Shark, This reel is no slouch, but I would lean more toward a 114H.
High Speed, Bigger Drags and just a more robust reel for your goal.
PM me your address.
This is the type of thing that makes this site great, and I enjoy doing it every single time. ;D

Sending a PM!  Wow!

Beachmaster

Daron, PM sent, let me know if you got it...something didn't seem right and it was my first time PM'ing on this site...

foakes

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 04, 2020, 07:33:21 AM

Thanks for being who you are, Daron!

In Beachmaster's case,  here is a guy looking for a painting to hang on his wall -- and Rembrandt knocks on his door with the offer of a Masterpiece.

The Ohana in action...

If there was another fishing tackle site as solid or better than this one of Alan's -- anywhere in the world -- we would all join it...

There isn't...when you already are the best -- no need to look for another.  The best just gets better.

Thanks again, Daron --

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

Beachmaster, what an incredible offer from one of the masters here.  As has been said, at.com thrives and prospers on this kind of attitude and generosity. I myself have been the receitient of many kind gestures from this group.  Sal, Dominick, Fred, Big Tim, Randy, Sheridan, and Alan immediately come to mind, I apologize to the others that I have missed.  

Pay It Forward is well and strong here.  Bill

P.S. the 114H is a strong reel, and coming from Daron, it probably already has carbon fiber drags.  Slap a new handle on it and fish it.  No other mods needed.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

PM received, but you forgot one thing. Your address. ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Not surprised here, It isn't the first from Daron.
We are blessed having such a group!
Nice going bro!👍

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 04, 2020, 08:52:43 PM
Not surprised here, It isn't the first from Daron.
We are blessed having such a group!
Nice going bro!👍

Sal

Times 2.  You are no slouch either Sal.  Thank you for doing that Daron.  Great stand up move.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

CooldadE

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Brewcrafter

You can be that reel from Daren is "Good to Go" and you have a seriously top level piece there!  But as Rudy pointed out - that 114 that you started with is a choice reel; appears to have steel gears so a good cleanup and an aftermarket drag and it will fish hard for many years.