Penn Side plate Colors

Started by CFish, January 04, 2020, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFish

Can somebody please shed some light for me in regards to USA made Penns specifically Jigmaster models, the different color side plates and the various years they may have been used?  I'd assume the black plates are the newest of the USA made reels but what about the dark maroon vs the lighter maroon (red)?  And as far as internally, can it be assumed these USA Penns are all of equal quality or were some periods better than others?

Thanks guys.

RowdyW

The ones with red plates are the 500 S which has slight differences from the maroon or black plate models. On the 500S the left plate is the quick breakdown plate & has a few different parts to the assembly (like the chrome rings & screws). The internal parts are mechanicaly the same except the 500S usually had a case hardened steel main gear if it is original.This is just a few differences on the jigmasters. Other model Penn reels have their differences too but some don't. There are to many models to just tell you the difference between all of them.            Rudy

Yogi_fish808

A couple other differeces I've seen on the 500S is that the plates are made of delrin instead of bakelite and a few I've seen have a C-clip holding the dog down on the bridge post.

CFish

Thanks guys for the info.  I did a little searching and I definitely see the visual difference in the 500s as well as the thumb screw as you guys mention.  But the reel I am currently dealing with (with the lighter "red" plates) may still not be a 500s.  The reason I say this is 1. The thumbscrew on my reel is in fact still on the right side of the reel. And 2. I see no marking of "500s Jigmaster" as I've found on actual 500s reels.  This reel has no markings whatsoever on the left plate and the standard "Jigmaster 500" on the right side plate.  I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow but I'm still stumped on this one.

RowdyW

The 500 jigmasters came in various shades of from light maroon to dark burgundy. Nothing unusual.