Sinkers sliders

Started by Sharkb8, January 06, 2020, 10:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkb8

The shop bought one would brake when casting heavy sinkers so I now make my own using a piece of fly screen wire rubber and a swivel  its cheep and easy to make. I hope this helps other people who are having the same problem.

Kim

xjchad

Great idea Kim!
What keeps the swivel fastened to the tube?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

cmdrzog

When I fished bait off the beach many many years ago we used just the swivel with a bead ahead of it to keep it from jamming into the terminal swivel, worked just fine. The sinker swivel was always the wrapped eye type.  The only time the line moves through it is on the bite, on the cast and retrieve its up against the lead swivel.

Sharkb8

Chad the rubber tube has little ridges on it just use a swivel that's a tight fit they don't seem to move.

Donnyboat

Nice idea Kim, thanks for sharing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

gstours

I like the simplicity and no epoxy like I,d probably do.  The rubber makes a nice soft bumper against the terminal swivel too.    ;D

1badf350

Quote from: cmdrzog on January 06, 2020, 05:02:56 PM
When I fished bait off the beach many many years ago we used just the swivel with a bead ahead of it to keep it from jamming into the terminal swivel, worked just fine. The sinker swivel was always the wrapped eye type.  The only time the line moves through it is on the bite, on the cast and retrieve its up against the lead swivel.
Same here. Learned it from the drum pros on the Outer Banks when I first got into drum fishing. Just using a 75-100lb coast lock swivel as a slider. Throwing 8-10z weights and a cobb mullet head.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Lingwendil

I almost never lose sliders after I went to using the beads, now I only lose them if I snag really bad.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

thorhammer

Quote from: 1badf350 on January 07, 2020, 04:50:03 PM
Quote from: cmdrzog on January 06, 2020, 05:02:56 PM
Same here. Learned it from the drum pros on the Outer Banks when I first got into drum fishing. Just using a 75-100lb coast lock swivel as a slider. Throwing 8-10z weights and a cobb mullet head.

YEP

philaroman

for many lighter bait applications (esp., if I don't know what I'll need going in), I like

terminal swivel---bead---sliding swivel---bead---sliding knot 

that way, I decide how far the running rig runs, or put a float on the sliding swivel & shot on the line below