alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Sinkers sliders
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
September 30, 2020, 08:10:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sinkers sliders  (Read 969 times)
Sharkb8

« on: January 06, 2020, 02:42:59 AM »

The shop bought one would brake when casting heavy sinkers so I now make my own using a piece of fly screen wire rubber and a swivel  its cheep and easy to make. I hope this helps other people who are having the same problem.

Kim

* 20200106_202607.jpg (2116.23 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 51 times.)
xjchad
Sensei

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 07:52:11 AM »

Great idea Kim!
What keeps the swivel fastened to the tube?

Husband, Father, Fisherman
cjsreelandrig@gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/CJsReelandRig/
cmdrzog

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 09:02:56 AM »

When I fished bait off the beach many many years ago we used just the swivel with a bead ahead of it to keep it from jamming into the terminal swivel, worked just fine. The sinker swivel was always the wrapped eye type.  The only time the line moves through it is on the bite, on the cast and retrieve its up against the lead swivel.
Sharkb8

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »

Chad the rubber tube has little ridges on it just use a swivel that's a tight fit they don't seem to move.
Donnyboat
donnyboat
Photo Group

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 02:22:40 PM »

Nice idea Kim, thanks for sharing, cheers Don.

Don, or donnyboat
gstours
Firearms Group

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 07:16:24 AM »

I like the simplicity and no epoxy like I,d probably do.  The rubber makes a nice soft bumper against the terminal swivel too.    Grin
1badf350
Firearms Group

-Chris

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 08:50:03 AM »

When I fished bait off the beach many many years ago we used just the swivel with a bead ahead of it to keep it from jamming into the terminal swivel, worked just fine. The sinker swivel was always the wrapped eye type.  The only time the line moves through it is on the bite, on the cast and retrieve its up against the lead swivel.
Same here. Learned it from the drum pros on the Outer Banks when I first got into drum fishing. Just using a 75-100lb coast lock swivel as a slider. Throwing 8-10z weights and a cobb mullet head.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"
Lingwendil
East SF bay area pier rat

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 12:42:23 PM »

I almost never lose sliders after I went to using the beads, now I only lose them if I snag really bad.

Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)
thorhammer
Firearms Group

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 07:39:52 AM »

Same here. Learned it from the drum pros on the Outer Banks when I first got into drum fishing. Just using a 75-100lb coast lock swivel as a slider. Throwing 8-10z weights and a cobb mullet head.

YEP
philaroman

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 12:04:59 PM »

for many lighter bait applications (esp., if I don't know what I'll need going in), I like

terminal swivel---bead---sliding swivel---bead---sliding knot 

that way, I decide how far the running rig runs, or put a float on the sliding swivel & shot on the line below
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: