Squidder 140

Started by Leeroy13, January 18, 2020, 10:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leeroy13

I just purchased my very first squidder and was wandering. Does the squidder have a sound when casting? Or do i need to track down faulty parts? If it is normal what can be done to make the semi screaching noise stop. I do have the anti reverse switch turned off as well.

Alto Mare

I would first check if the spool is centered.
You will be able to use the left side bearing cup if the spool needs to go to the handle side , but I'm thinki it needs to go towards the left side plate.
At times the spool will Hit the gear ratchet little and causing what you're experiencing.
You can usually tilt the reel side way and give the spool a spin in free spool.
If you do not hear anything at first, try the opposite side.

Just in case the spool is too far to the handle side, you will not be able to use the bearing to make adjustments, you will need a shim tonfo do on that bearing,

You did not mention how loud the noise is, these reels are equipped with spools with fins.
Are you using a plastic spool? If so,  a little noise would be normal when casting.

Good luck!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

Follow Sal's advice and get the spool centered and try it. If it's still screeching it could be a bad bearing   I've had a few reels sound like banshees when casting.  New bearings cured it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

usually bearings.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I do have the anti reverse switch turned off as well.

[/quote]

Why would you want to cast with the anti-reverse switch turned off?  It's going to cost you casting distance with all of those extra parts spinning around.

Bill B

Leeroy, Sal and Alan have the right idea, check the spool center, if that doesn't cure it then the bearings are suspect. Should be easy enough to check.  The squidder has a quick take apart, open it up oil one side really well, assemble and check again.  If the noise lessens you know that bearing is bad, if not try the other side.  Another way to check the bearing is to put a chop stick or similar slender rod through the bearing and turn it feeling for roughness.  You might be able to buy a little time with adding oil to the bearing, but it will have to be replaced. If the bearing(s) need replacing, mysticparts.com or smoothdrags.com will have what you need. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Leeroy13

Alto mare.  The spool is dead on no troubles from it. It has the aluminum spool on it. The noise is getting louder when i tighten the spool so bearings and possibly shims. Do the pressed in caps for the bearings need any special adjustments. Or could i remove them.

Gfish

I have the 146 Squidder version. Changed out the ball bearings on both sides and it's still noisy, but not as much as it used to be. If it bothers you, try some 30 wt. oil or something similar.
Are you gettin good spin on the spool(line taped down, and a flick with your thumb), like 5+ seconds?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

Just to be certain, make sure the lip of the spool flange cannot graze the inside edge of the ring or the face of the bridge.  A Sharpie pen should tell you.
-steve

Leeroy13

Vintage offshore tackle. The noise is less when i have the anti reverse off. With it on it sounds like z banshee. I have already replaced the gear sleave the teeth were chesed up pretty bad.

Brewcrafter

Hmmm. If you had chewed up components (gear sleeve teeth) that you replaced there is a high likelihood that debris migrated elsewhere into the mechanism.  Depending on the level of tear down/clean up you did, it would not take much to compromise a bearing. - John

Swami805

If you're switching from knuckle buster mode to in gear with a load on the reel that could  likely damage the gear sleeve. Might be good to pony up a few more $ for stainless sleeve. It might tear up the dog instead
Do what you can with that you have where you are