Penn Battle II 4000 Drag nob loosening

Started by Noahg727, January 07, 2020, 02:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahg727

I recently purchased a used Penn Battle 4000 reel. The reel looks perfect but the drag knob on top loosens or tightens on its own when drag is pulled put. It appears the friction from the drag nob is greater than the friction created by the threading. I saw a post about putting loctite on the threading but the guy said it didn't work. Anyone seen this before or know how to remedy it?

Thanks,
Noah

Tiddlerbasher

Many moons ago I had a spinner that did that. The drag knob would start to turn with the spool increasing the drag. I simply placed a suitably sized washer (might even have been a belleville :-\) under the spool, on top of the drag stack. Problem solved. I think the washer prevented the knob from catching on the spool, there has to be a gap (between the knob and spool) as the knob is tightened.

Hardy Boy

I had that same issue with one that I was working on, just yesterday, and it turned out that the click gear under the spool (on the shaft) had slid up the shaft a bit (hair). I tapped it into the proper position so that it engaged perfectly with the clicker on the spool and all was good. I did this with the shaft out and looking from the back of the spool to get the depth right. This was an older Battle 11 that did not have the bearing under the spool and the click gear sits/floats on the shaft on ridges. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

handi2

If it's a Battle the drag washers could be out of order. If it's a Battle II check that the keyed drag washers are all there. It uses 2.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

if washers are missing, so the knob bottoms out
                      OR
got reshuffled, so the eared washer is on top

knob+spool+shaft will act as a unit, like in a rear-drag

jon_elc

56 is the drag washer, with 4 "points" and 57 are the metal washers... is this what you have?

Noahg727

Noahg727

Okay! So I managed to fix it after trying out a few of your suggestions...what did the trick was adding a small rubber washer at the very top of the drag stack. Gives it just enough space to not catch on the spool when tightened down. Thanks!

Now another issue I noticed. The bail arm doesn't have that crisp spring action when opening and closing it. It's like sticky and slow. How do you fix that?!

Noah