Accurate Magnum 4/0 Build

Started by xjchad, January 07, 2020, 05:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Starting a cool build for Darin. 
He sent me this Accurate Magnum 4/0 to go through and upgrade.
This is a sweet little reel!  Compact and solid with the 6/0 drivetrain, not much it won't stop!

Started with a complete tear down and cleaning.

Lots of upgrades for this one too, I'll post more as I go.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

David Hall

that is a monster reel fr sure, I have one that I need to one day go through,  Keep posting so I can follow what you're doing with this beauty.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Quote from: Swami805 on January 07, 2020, 06:20:09 PM
4 dogs, this should be good,

LOL, that's just a bag of stainless dogs Darin sent to work with, only 2 will be used  ;)

steelfish

thats the reel Im waiting for Tom to make the sideplates, the problem would be the spool with the bigger shaft.

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Nice reel Darin, Chad will do a nice job with it.

Quote from: steelfish on January 07, 2020, 08:48:12 PM
thats the reel Im waiting for Tom to make the sideplates, the problem would be the spool with the bigger shaft.

Alex, we have members here that could get any spool made, but I'm not sure on cost or if they have time in their schedule .

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

Beautiful reel!  Can't wait to see the final product.

Andy
><)))">

Maxed Out

Its hard to tell from your picture, but I recall the 4/0 Magnum having huge gear housing that is obviously making room for the 114h gear set. Definitely a beast !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 07, 2020, 09:47:14 PM
Alex, we have members here that could get any spool made, but I'm not sure on cost or if they have time in their schedule .

Sal

pretty sure of that Sal,

I think its a project that it will have great acceptance with the ohana, just like those "tiburon" special frames that Randy make along with tiburon

The Baja Guy

xjchad

More progress on this build.

Modified a stainless steel 114H yoke since the original brass one had some really bad wear.  I had made another brass one, then Darin sent a SS one which will be much better.

I machined the head plate for a second dog.

Bryan Young 7+1 drag kit ready for assembly (with Cal's of course).

I found an easier way to install the bridge while keeping the dogs and springs in place!
1.  Assemble the main gear to the sleeve with the delrin under gear washer, drag stack, belville, and spacer sleeve.

2.  Install the eccentric, jack, yoke, springs, and pinion into the head plate.

3.  Insert the main gear/sleeve assembly into the cavity in the head plate.

4.  Install the dogs and springs.

5.  Insert the bridge post into the sleeve, position the bridge, and tighten the bridge screws.

6.  Now there is enough room outside of the head plate to install the sleeve retainer pin!

Be sure that the pin is a good fit before final assembly so that it snaps right in.

I'll finish final assembly and finished pics will be up soon.  This reel is awesome!

Darin Crofton

Awesome build bro, thank you for doing this for me, I know it's going to be a grouper killa!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

xjchad

Quote from: Darin Crofton on January 14, 2020, 11:34:49 PM
Awesome build bro, thank you for doing this for me, I know it's going to be a grouper killa!

You're welcome Darin, thanks for the opportunity!

Alto Mare

Awesome build Chad👍.
It's going to be a killer reel.
I also use thread protector cap on my gear sleeve to keep everything intact, no reason to be a hero trying without, it really helps on the double dogs.

Looks like you could use that black and red custom knob Darin.
I know you've asked me a while back, if it is too late, not a problem.
I finally was able to walk in my workshop today, it was in such a rough shape that every time I attempted to go in, I turned around🙂.

Enjoy that reel buddy!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Darin Crofton

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 14, 2020, 11:50:59 PM
Awesome build Chad👍.
It's going to be a killer reel.
I also use thread protector cap on my gear sleeve to keep everything intact, no reason to be a hero trying without, it really helps on the double dogs.

Looks like you could use that black and red custom knob Darin.
I know you've asked me a while back, if it is too late, not a problem.
I finally was able to walk in my workshop today, it was in such a rough shape that every time I attempted to go in, I turned around🙂.

Enjoy that reel buddy!
Hey Sal, It's ready when you are buddy, I already told Chad about the knob you were going to make for me, but it would be a little while. He's got a handle and knob that's going on my CC 9/0 that he's going to use for pictures, but your knob will live
on this Magnum. Thank you for thinking of me, no rush, when you feel up to it my friend!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?