Mitchell reels and shims...

Started by basenjib123, January 09, 2020, 04:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basenjib123

I'm rather new at working on Mitchell Reels so I apologize if this is a dumb question.  How does one know when a shim is needed on these reels?  I mean,  its it obvious or is it a more subtle thing?  Thanks,  Joe.

foakes

If the operation is smooth, quiet, and tight -- the shims are OK.

If not -- it will take from 1 to 4 new shims to shim just the rotating head.  

Unfortunately, it is not an exact number -- it is more kind of a trial and error deal.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

You must be working on a 300, as in my experience the 300 is the only model that requires all the shim tweaking. Also, even when the correct "feel" is reached, the reel will still growl a bit, it's just a result of the 300's gearing. Fred is spot on...it is a trial and error process. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

You will be lucky to find a 300 with all its shims. They have been apart so many times they get lost. The ones I open that are still stock do have have shims under the gears and the rotor.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL