Need GX130 help

Started by Lunker Larry, January 09, 2020, 04:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Was moving a few things around and came across this reel in a bag. Put it back together but I cannot figure out the rear drag. The configuration looks simple but I cannot make it work and I cannot find a schematic anywhere. I'm pretty sure I have the drag stack in correctly but I may not be installing things correctly. Don't know. I've been patient but kinda flustered now. This is not anyones reel, I just hate giving up on things.
I am not a spinning reel guy so if anyone has a schematic or a bit of experience to pass along it would be appreciated.
Thanks all.
Larry
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

philaroman

looks like rear Fightin'Drag -- 2-stack, or older 6-stack?
if drag is your only issue (same in many models) look for clearest schematic, rather than exact model
many older models are under Miscellaneous:
https://www.reelschematic.com/reel-schematics/shimano-reel-schematics/shimano-misc-schematics/#gsc.tab=0

foakes

Larry --

This sounds like we need "Super - Philaroman"...

He can bend back and restore Shimanos with his bare hands.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Lunker Larry

Watched Supe growing up. Even back then I could tell those pipes he bent were rubber  :D :D

Philaroman. Couldn't open that link.

I don't think there is an error in the drag stack. I may just be fitting those parts that you see in the picks incorrectly. that third ring is the one that is throwing me off and I'm not positive where the big c clip goes. I assume it is on that third ring as it is the only piece large enough for it and there is a recessed area around it. Can't see a reason for it being there though. ????
I really hate it when an inanimate object is smarter than I am.

LL
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

Hamachi

Turn the back ring around and put it in front of the lever. Screw it all the way down, then back it off 1/4 turn. Make sure it engages the metal ear in front of it. Put the fight in' lever on now.jiggle it forward all the way to where the little clicker engages the front ring. Metal retaining ring clip goes on last before rear adjuster knob. It goes on the back of the ring to hold the lever from sliding back. Doesn't look like there's enough room for it but it fits. Have to play with the adjustment ring to get the fightin' lever to function correctly. That means taking it apart again, adjusting the ring for a trial fit. Reassembling, check for function, repeat if necessary, good luck. Warren. does any of this make sense?
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

philaroman

Quote from: Lunker Larry on January 09, 2020, 06:55:59 PM
Philaroman. Couldn't open that link.

I don't think there is an error in the drag stack. I may just be fitting those parts that you see in the picks incorrectly. that third ring is the one that is throwing me off and I'm not positive where the big c clip goes. I assume it is on that third ring as it is the only piece large enough for it and there is a recessed area around it. Can't see a reason for it being there though. ????
I really hate it when an inanimate object is smarter than I am.

LL

sorry, fixed the link...

I could only find front-drag GX 100-300, so I was asking 2-stack VS. 6-stack, to find you the clearest schematics for similar model

mine are all 90's, while yours is 80's -- at a glance, knob attachment looks the same

if you don't figure it out, I'll dig mine out to check the correct order & orientation of the final few parts

for now, the only "bit of experience to pass along" that I remember is:

it may seem like squeezing 200 lbs. of shyte into a 100 lb. bag, but eventually everything falls into place, WITHOUT FORCE!!!

there are somewhat delicate flat springs (leaf?, tongue?) involved

that's what keeps the lever from sliding around on its own & provides calibration clicks

make sure it's not bent or pushed out of the way during reassembly (once bent/straitened, it's never the same!)

that round retainer clip that locks everything in place is NOT delicate -- that may take some force & may try to escape, LOL

Lunker Larry

Went to my shop first thing this morning when I saw this and voila! You'd think I knew what I was doing. Thanks everyone for their help and Hamachi for the excellent instructions.
Very much appreciated.