A pleasant surprise🧜‍♂️

Started by gstours, January 09, 2020, 08:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Since it was snowing outside a trip to my shop seemed like something I needed to do.
   Recently I received some stainless steel flat sided 12mm od. Split rings from China 🇨🇳 at a very reasonable cost.  Since by now I'm skeptical 🤨 of just about everything a little pulling test was planned.
   Shown below are several that passed  my expectations.  90 & 100 pounds of pull with no apparent distortion .  I would typically use this size for salmon.     Butt I expected about 50#.

gstours

The green twist tie on the ring was to possibly locate it when they went flying upon failure.
I,m not trying to sell these things just showing you the pkg.  thanks for watching.🐙

Hardy Boy

Every now and then you get a surprise !! Looks like a good value, do they make bigger ones ?

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

jurelometer

Since you already have performed one valuable test:

Do they spring shut after being stretched open for a big hook?  The biggest risk for split rings is some hardware working though the gap, especially when the ends are not tapered.

-J

Hardy Boy

Good point J. I have had that happen. Lets us know Gary.

Todd
Todd

gstours

:) Ok,  yes these spring back closed when installed on a "normal application" opening about .090=.100 is what the ring was used on.
  These flat sided rings are available in 4-12mm sizes from Paxipa in one mm increments.  Inside diameter of the 12mm ones are 8.2mm.
Firstly I wasn't :D expecting much for the money butt as i,m somewhat isolated from good tackle shops it was worth a try.   The price of 50 for $3.09 with free shipping helped in the decision.          Everybody has different options and economic means.
Secondly i've never had many problems with split rings if the ring is way larger than needed like a snap or swivel.  Butt this whole thing with trying to find large enough rings for the kodiak style jigs i was intrigued with started the problem.  As mentioned by Dave the large heavy ring after spreading to 1/4+inch wide was sprung and did not snap back tight as desired. Much difficulty was noticed in using these large ones as well.... Actually an oval ring would have been better for this .... welded rings give you the option of spreading them sideways quite easily to install,  or a person can bend them in place and this gives you much flexibility in tackle building....Butt you folks gave me the idea to weld a ring of whatever size i needed and thats why i,m typing this.  I have learned much  because of your help and kindness.
  The stretch testing brings a possible new awareness to ponder.   Generally bigger is better for most terminal tackle.
      There is a place for welded rings in my arsenal ....  Split rings have their place as well.   Happy fishing.

jurelometer