How to prevent plastic spools from cracking...

Started by Beachmaster, January 12, 2020, 03:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

Quote from: happyhooker on January 13, 2020, 02:44:30 AM
Good info from Mike & Tommy.  You want to build a little flex in on the spool.  Heavy Dacron should work, but you might have some trouble tying it to a much smaller diameter mono; workaround for that is to just use the Dacron as an arbor and don't tie the mono to it, but just tie the mono to the spool with a Uni or whatever just as though you were tying it directly to the spool.

Frank
I just went back through and read and I guess I missed this.  This sounds like a good idea!  Where is Fred...he hasn't chimed in on this.  I did read in some past posts that he made a few years back about not using braid on these plastic spools but is fine to use on the metal spools.  I am confused!  But, I like this idea here of using the Dacron I have as an "arbor".

oc1

All braided fishing line is not the same.  

The first braided line was made of nylon.  That was before monofilament nylon.  The braided nylon (now known as "squidding line") is even more stretchy than the monofilament nylon so it had a propensity to warp of break spools.

Braided Dacron came along shortly after braided nylon.  Braided Dacron will hardly stretch at all.  It can be spooled as tight as you want and will not hurt the spool.  However, Dacron is abraded very easily so it cannot be used anyplace it will come into contact with the bottom or structure.  It is mainly for trolling.  

Monofilament nylon (now known as "mono") came along next.  Mono it still too stretchy to use for filling a spool because it will build up pressure and may damage the spool.

Then came braided spectra or dyneema which is ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE), now known as "braid".  Like Dacron, Spectra braid does not stretch at all and can be used to fill a spool.

So, if you prefer the feel, performance and stretchiness of nylon (either braided nylon or monofilament nylon) then you should only use it as a top shot.  Pack the spool with Dacron or Spectra braid and then wind on a top shot of your favorite nylon.  The top shot can be as long as you would normally use for fishing.  The Dacron or Spectra braid backing is there for serious catching and also to provide a cushion that will prevent the nylon from warping the spool.  

The top shot can be tied directly to the backing.  Or, the backing can be covered with tape and the nylon tied on top of the tape.  It just depends on how likely you are to need the backing for fighting a fish.

-steve

Beachmaster

Quote from: oc1 on January 19, 2020, 04:31:19 AM
All braided fishing line is not the same.  

The first braided line was made of nylon.  That was before monofilament nylon.  The braided nylon (now known as "squidding line") is even more stretchy than the monofilament nylon so it had a propensity to warp of break spools.

Braided Dacron came along shortly after braided nylon.  Braided Dacron will hardly stretch at all.  It can be spooled as tight as you want and will not hurt the spool.  However, Dacron is abraded very easily so it cannot be used anyplace it will come into contact with the bottom or structure.  It is mainly for trolling.  

Monofilament nylon (now known as "mono") came along next.  Mono it still too stretchy to use for filling a spool because it will build up pressure and may damage the spool.

Then came braided spectra or dyneema which is ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE), now known as "braid".  Like Dacron, Spectra braid does not stretch at all and can be used to fill a spool.

So, if you prefer the feel, performance and stretchiness of nylon (either braided nylon or monofilament nylon) then you should only use it as a top shot.  Pack the spool with Dacron or Spectra braid and then wind on a top shot of your favorite nylon.  The top shot can be as long as you would normally use for fishing.  The Dacron or Spectra braid backing is there for serious catching and also to provide a cushion that will prevent the nylon from warping the spool.  

The top shot can be tied directly to the backing.  Or, the backing can be covered with tape and the nylon tied on top of the tape.  It just depends on how likely you are to need the backing for fighting a fish.

-steve
thanks steve that clears it up for me with a couple more questions.  I have some 50# Magicbraid from BPS which is braided Dacron, but I think may be large of a diameter to use as backing on my 285/330 Quicks but probably would be fine for my 441/550 Quicks?  My only other question is, what is the best way to attach the braid to the spool to keep it from slipping?  Layer of electrical tape or first aid tape, then tie the braid with arbor knot?

Midway Tommy

I tie all my Dacron directly to the spool with a slip knot in the direction so that it is being pulled tight while spooling line. I have never ever had line slip on the spool using a slip knot. I tie my 125 yds of mono to the Dacron with a regular ol' knot, but then I've never even come close to spending all my mono. Keep in mind, though, that mine is used exclusively for freshwater fishing and I seldom fish deeper than 30 feet.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Quote from: Beachmaster on January 19, 2020, 04:58:12 AM
way to attach the braid to the spool to keep it from slipping?

I throw clove hitches onto the spool in the direction that tightens them as the drag is pulled.
-steve