alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Alcedo Micron. Tool advice needed
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
October 28, 2020, 08:31:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcedo Micron. Tool advice needed  (Read 2624 times)
Guldhamstern

« on: January 12, 2020, 03:28:14 AM »

Hi all kingfishers!
My third encounter with this model and i've encountered some slight differences from the others. My other Microns got a hex nut for locking the spinner cup, this one is slotted.

I have no tool to unscrew the lock nut for the spinner cup.
I tried to make one out of 1mm steel sheet, that was to optimistically of me. The sheet got bended after "a rather powerful effort".

The nut is 12mm and the gap would need to be at least 5 mm.

Is there such a tool?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 03:31:26 AM by Guldhamstern » Logged

“Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.”
-Henry David Thoreau
Alto Mare
Sensei

Southeastern Pennsylvania

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 03:51:24 AM »

That was a good idea, I would have done te same.
I’m sure someone might have the correct tool, sorry I don’t,
You might want to try again and try click wise.
The first Alcedo I did gave me a hard time and kind of pushed me away from this model.
Very nice reel, but way too much effort to service.

Good luck!

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.
steelhead_killer

Andy

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 05:40:33 AM »

Contact Bearingbadtool.com. He is a great guy and make custom tools at a very reasonable rate.  Ernie @ 619-380-4370 or bearingbadtool@gmail.com

Good luck!  I have one sitting on my desk that I am just staring at...Spinners...hrmfff!

Andy

><)))">
RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 08:33:15 AM »

Andy, I think he is in Sweden.      Rudy
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 09:23:45 AM »

Please don't force that seemingly split drive rotor nut -- it is likely pressed into and part of the rotating head.

Forcing will ruin a major part of the reel...

On this Micron variation -- the pinion assembly is released from the (inside of the casing) -- and at that point -- a whole bunch of tiny balls will fall out (your ball-bearing pinion assembly).

These are tough to work on without a little knowledge -- care, and maybe a few spare parts.

Very finicky and non-intuitive reels compared to others of the same early vintage (50's).

Care and observation are key here.

Best,

Fred

* E78D900F-D804-475D-B5AE-D9D490A361B2.png (2262.26 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 96 times.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:24:45 AM by foakes » Logged

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

---------

Self-worth is how you value yourself. It’s not based on what others think of you or the things you have (or haven’t) accomplished—it comes from within. But it’s easy to forget that our worth isn’t determined by outside forces -- each of us sets our own price.
Guldhamstern

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 10:11:37 AM »

Please don't force that seemingly split drive rotor nut -- it is likely pressed into and part of the rotating head.

Forcing will ruin a major part of the reel...

On this Micron variation -- the pinion assembly is released from the (inside of the casing) -- and at that point -- a whole bunch of tiny balls will fall out (your ball-bearing pinion assembly).

These are tough to work on without a little knowledge -- care, and maybe a few spare parts.

Very finicky and non-intuitive reels compared to others of the same early vintage (50's).

Care and observation are key here.

Best,

Fred

So the nut and rotor cup is to be handled as one part?  Do I read you wright Fred? That would explain why it seems to be so darn stuck (since i've been holding the rotor cup steady with my other hand).
 Care and observation, yes, but sometimes my mode is set on attack!...Markus

-Henry David Thoreau
philaroman

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »

just from general homemade tool perspective (if it did unscrew):

make it longer & bend it 90 degrees (just enough at the end, to clear the cup)

that way when you use the "handle portion", you apply force to the edge of sheet metal

...structurally stronger that way; less likely to twist
Dominick
Administrator

San Mateo, California

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 10:55:59 AM »

Markus, It looks like one would use a special tool and turn the whole casing at the same time.  The special tool would actually keep the nut from turning in the casing.  I'm just guessing.  I trust that Fred will come back with an explanation.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
Midway Tommy
Tom
Sensei

Right in the middle of USA - Eastern Nebraska

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 12:11:41 PM »

If you have a file you can make a tool out of a wide flat head screw driver. I doubt the ears would break off. Just make sure you also file the taper down so that it fits snugly in the slot.

BTW, it's been awhile since I worked on an Alcedo but don't forget that the pinion and nut may be reverse threads. Also, here's some discussion and work I did on a 2CS. Maybe there's something in there will help you after yo get the nut off.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)
Guldhamstern

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 01:21:19 AM »

Thanks for your advices.
I'm going slow now.
Think i'm going to source a wide enough flat screw driver and modify it.

The thread about the 2CS was informative. Guess i'll have to fixate the pinion with some kind of plier + leather method.

-Henry David Thoreau
mhc
Sensei

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 02:01:33 AM »

Tom's suggestion of modifying a flat screw driver should work well but if you don't want to buy a screw driver to modify, and you're not in a hurry, I could have a go at making a tool to fit. I think I have a couple of broken woodwork spade bits somewhere that should be hard enough for the job - but it will take me a week or so get organised and another couple of weeks to get it from Aus over to Sweden.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:24:14 AM by mhc » Logged

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.
Guldhamstern

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 10:46:01 AM »

Tom's suggestion of modifying a flat screw driver should work well but if you don't want to buy a screw driver to modify, and you're not in a hurry, I could have a go at making a tool to fit. I think I have a couple of broken woodwork spade bits somewhere that should be hard enough for the job - but it will take me a week or so get organised and another couple of weeks to get it from Aus over to Sweden.

Mike

That's kind of you Mike, but I guess there will be lesser a project if i can find a wide enough screw driver here in Sweden. I'm really not in a hurry, if I fail i'll remember your offer....Markus

-Henry David Thoreau
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: