114H Open Drag Top End Drag

Started by steelhead_killer, January 29, 2020, 03:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Good morning!  What kind of drag numbers should I be getting from a 114H with the open access drag stack with a full spool?  Just did one up and the drag pressure at lock down is around 14 lbs.  Is that normal?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

Long Enuff

With a new carbon fiber 5 stack drag washer setup, I can get around 30 or better at the reel tested with a spring scale.

thorhammer

Sal, with full Adam insert, etc. got about 75lbs out of a 9/0 as I recall, which is basically same drive train. So, you can make it be as much as you can hang on to- but stock, yes, you should be way above 14 especially if you have switched to carbon fiber. You should make that 30lbs without sweating much. Even with old HT-100's I've locked down and pulled as hard as I can with it.

John

RowdyW

Andy, I would first check that the sequence of the washers is in the right order and that the top eared washer is in the slot in the main gear. Are you working with the original 3 stack or a replacement 5 stack. Are the washers new or used. Give us all the information.  14# is way to low even if you are reusing an asbestos 3 stack of brake material.       Rudy

steelhead_killer

Here is the sequence:

Delrin under main gear
5 stack
Tension Washer
Top Hat
Tension washer
Star

This is a straight stock reel.  All new washers and metals. 
><)))">

Maxed Out

Sometimes the "eared washer" groove in the main gear stops way short of the bottom, which can greatly reduce drag from the bottom washers. A thicker keyed washer on bottom is a quick fix
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Long Enuff

Quote from: Maxed Out on January 29, 2020, 07:58:00 PM
Sometimes the "eared washer" groove in the main gear stops way short of the bottom, which can greatly reduce drag from the bottom washers. A thicker keyed washer on bottom is a quick fix

I have seen this on numerous occasions.  Good advice there.

steelhead_killer

Ted that bumped it up over 30lbs.  Thank you!

Andy
><)))">

Maxed Out

I learned that a few years back from a Penn wizard named Rudy. I'm just the messenger.

30# sounds more like it Andy !! Glad it turned out to be an easy fix

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!