Trouble installing pinion gear, yoke, eccentric jack on Penn 113h

Started by Bill Benrath, January 12, 2020, 02:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Benrath

Hey guys, I need help on installing the eccentric jack on to the eccentric. I installed the eccentric, spring and lever first. Then when I try to install the eccentric jack there isn't enough room for it to go together; the slot on the jack is too high to fit into the slot on the eccentric.
The only way I go it to go together was to remove the lever and assemble the jack on the eccentric before installing the lever. I'm sure I'm not doing something in the correct sequence.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Bill Benrath
LadyE

foakes

Not sure what you mean by "too high", Bill --

However, a few photos would help.

There is a sequence -- and we have many experts who will be ready to help you, plus tutorials on site.

If you have the proper jack, yoke, and eccentric -- it should be easy enough for us to figure out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RowdyW

Did you press down on the pinion gear while trying to install the ecc. jack? It's a close fit to slide the jack over the post.     Rudy

Bill Benrath

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't taken a 113H apart for a lot of years and I haven't crawled between the cobwebs that have developed in my brain.
I might not have pressed down on the pinion yoke or maybe there was a burr or something; I'll have to take it apart again and try it. Unfortunately it been snowing here for the last 24 hours and I've had to run a snow blower over my driveway. Stinking snow.
Please forgive the sort of double post, like I said the cobwebs just get denser.
I have a 49M mariner to do next for this guy so I would think the procedure will be the same.
Any idea what would cause the drag to be so heavy?
Bill

foakes

Quote from: Bill Benrath on January 12, 2020, 05:49:06 PM
Any idea what would cause the drag to be so heavy?
Bill

Typically, without seeing your reels --

These Penns, after a thorough cleaning of every part inside and outside -- will benefit from a new set of Carbon Fiber drags, greased with Cal's, a new under gear washer (preferably Delrin, but greased CF works well too), and maybe a new spring between the top metal drag and the spacer. 

These are all common and cheap upgrades that will smooth out the drag functions from start up to full lockdown.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

twotone

This is what helps me on the stubborn ones. Do as Rudy says with pinion. Leave the eccentric screw finger tight. Back it off a little until the jack slides on the eccentric.
Then snug down the screw.

twotone

Gfish

One other possible solution(if I'm understanding the exact problem right), would be to change the position of the freespool lever from where you had it when you first tried(from on to off or off to on?), which would also change the eccentric's knob position. The eccentric knob fits into the eccentric jack. Maybe this'ed give you a better position for making everything fit. Look at Fred's picture, the freespool lever looks to be in the off position.

"Heavy drag" means what?; Too much pressure? Ramps up too quickly(like-less than 1 turn on the drag star)? Too much pressure with drag star alla way loose?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Sound like Gfish is on the right track.
On most reels I work on, I will usually hold the eccentric lever almost backed at free spool and move it  back and forth gently as I set my bridge screws.
This will make sure all the screws go in as they should and everything stays lined up.
Make sure all four screws are placed in before attempting to move the eccentric lever or the clutch springs might get Bent,  also make sure you tighten them a little at a time, you don't want to set them in snug as you set them in.

If your drag is getting too stiff too early, it could be a couple of things, the most common one to me is the tension spring.
I do not like to use the larger Belleville on my reels l, from the smallest to the Jigmaster I use the smallest tension spring available. I believe the newer ones from Mystic penn parts are black in color.

The other most common place to look is with your spacer sleeve, you might just need a shorter one. Mystic also carries those.
I usually chuck it up in a drill and take a  little off on a piece of sandpaper, i will then  set the cut size in first
If you don't have enough room, this won't work.
You need to make sure the star won't bottom out.
In case you don't have the room, there are other adjustments you could do, but let's nit get ahead of ourselves.

Good luck!

Sal
Sorry, I just noticed you're talking about the 113h, I do usd the heavier Belleville on those but at times use the  8-349 tension spring
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill Benrath

Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't been able to get back to the reel yet (been shoveling snow) but I have a 49 Mariner apart now and noticed that if I turn the e/jack 90 degrees it goes in without a problem. Thanks again. I love this forum.