Double dogs ahead of there time !

Started by 54bullseye, January 12, 2020, 03:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

This should go under Fin-Nor reels just as you find them but I want you Penn guys to see it ! This is a late 1930s or very early 40s Fin-Nor 6/0 or "800 yds of 9 thread" model. This one has survived very well and looks almost new but I thought you guys would like to see the nice set of double dogs that are on the tail plate side of the reel. I took a short video of them working perfectly In Sync with each other but I can't seem to load the video it's to BIG !!
I am posting a few pics of the reel and you will see the double dog system and this system comes apart no problem no springs flying !! Lol !! I no there is know big following for the old Fin-Nor reels here but if you guys ever took an old one apart you would see they were built to be around a while !!   Enjoy !     John Taylor

54bullseye

more

Alto Mare

That is a serious double dog on that baby, love the way they sat in those long springs, must be heavy duty. 

Thanks for showing us John, that was around when Penn started.
I wonder why they never thought about a second dog on their Conventional.
I know some of you will say are not really needed, bug it is a plus to have it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Thanks for the photos John, the 20 tooth ratchet is pretty cool as well. I'm trying to think how the drag would work with the anti reverse acting on the spool shaft - I have a vague memory of a cone shaped arangement on one of the reels you showed us a while back, might have been a Kovalovsky.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

54bullseye

Mike
Unfortunately I only took a few pictures while I was cleaning reel but you see the drag washer on the head plate side and the surface it contacts on head plate end of spool. when you move drag lever up it pushes the washer towards the spool causing the friction. Obviously I took pics as I was taking reel apart pre cleaning. The old ones are easier than the new Fin-Nor's to work on !!   John Taylor

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Reeltyme

John, I can put that back together for you in a jiffy. Send it on down and I'll take care of that little beauty for you.

happyhooker

Beautiful--amazing craftsmanship.

Frank

milne

That truly is a beautiful reel John,
They really did some great engineering on them.
I'm glad my " addiction " only falls with Penn at the minute,  I can see why you collect them...

Col 

54bullseye

Quote from: milne on January 13, 2020, 07:23:54 AM
That truly is a beautiful reel John,
They really did some great engineering on them.
I'm glad my " addiction " only falls with Penn at the minute,  I can see why you collect them...

Col 

Col
I am glad your addiction is with Penn reels to much less competition lol !!! There are plenty of guy looking for them though "Randy" *&^%$%^&*(&^%  Thanks for compliments from every one !!  John Taylor

Penn Chronology

Fin-Nor reels were the high end of the big game market. You could probably buy three Penn reels at the cost of one Fin-Nor. But they are fine pieces of work. In terms of the double dog bridges, they were around before Fin-Nor and before Penn.

Here is the 1929 Ocean City Orlando. Great game reel made in the 6/0 size. No free spool lever, just back off on the star wheel and you go into free spool but there was a double dog system. I believe that makers like Penn went to a single dog because they discovered that was all most fisherman needed.

BTW, Ocean City Orlando models are very sought after and command high prices.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Spyderman

Very cool reel there John, and thanks for sharing those photos with the community!  I really enjoy working on any Fin-Nor, Everol, Alcedo and International.  So well engineered and constructed.  Works of fishing reel art.  While not strictly a double dog arrangement, the dog in the Penn 349 reel does engage two of the pinion teeth at a time, giving a bit more 'hold' versus the one tooth at a time that most of the other Penn reels have.