Too Much Drag Penn 113H

Started by Bill Benrath, January 12, 2020, 05:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Benrath

A friend just brought me a used 113H that had the old asbestos drag washer system. I replaced it with the Penn 6-113H SP set with the new metal washers and 5 piece cf washer set. I replaced the washer that went underneath the main gear with a new plastic 004 349 fiber washer.
The reel only came with one of the spring washers that goes under the handle (#; the schematic calls for two so I put another one in from the spare parts department.
Now it's got over 25lbs of drag which I'm aware is too much, the frame won't handle that much drag.
I usually have to fight to get 20lbs of drag (it was a good discovery but I'm sure i've done something wrong).
Also I though I posted somewhere here about having problems with getting the eccentric jack to fit onto the eccentric but I have seen a youtube video of it just sliding on without any trouble; any ideas why this should be a problem? The only way I could get it to go was to have the lever off the eccentric and have the whole thing loose then slide it on then attach the eccentric and lever with the nut.
Any replies will be greatly appreciated,
Thank You
Bill Benrath
LadyE

Yogi_fish808

If you install solid crossbars to replace the posts then it should be fine, or just don't lock the drag. A newell reel seat or accruate/tiburon frame would be nice too. As far as the eccentric issue take everything apart again and check out a tutorial, if it was working/fit when you disassembled the reel it will go back together. Sometimes you need to use a little more force to get reseated.

thorhammer

Leave the eccentric spring free out of its recess in the plate (but in the orientation hole in the eccentric itself). The eccentric will orient correctly and stay flat in its plane this way, then the lever should slip right on. Screw it down, then flip the plate over and pocket the spring into its recess with a pair of needlenose.

I rarely reinstall the wavy washer and never two. The Boss himself chunks them. You have discovered hotrodding- carbon fiber ups the game from asbestos / leather any way you cut it, now frame posts become the weak link. If you go to full frame, the next link is the brass gear sleeve- you can switch to stainless with a power handle and you are pretty tanked. If your reel is old enough for asbestos drags, I would bet it has maroon plates and a steel main gear. I love those and rarely upgrade the main to stainless, and won't until I find out how to strip one. My 0.02.

John

redsetta

Quote...I would bet it has maroon plates and a steel main gear. I love those and rarely upgrade the main to stainless...
x2
Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

steelfish

theres is no such thing as too much drag !  :P
my makaira 15 reach 34# drag and al rarely use the lever passing more than 25#, mostly I use it on 20# with my local fisheries, so, try to know your reel and use it within the capabilities of the stock metal parts or you will fall in a rabbit-hole of the 113h, next you will need a steel sleeve, then a steel main gear, power handle, then alloy frame, etc, etc.

can I ask how do you know its 25# drag? are you using a scale ?
how full of line was the reel when you checked the drag?

if you checked the drag with the reel with half spool of line or less that gives you a higher drag readings that having the reel full of line to the brim of the spool, its not wrong actually some guys use the 113h with half spool of 80# braid just to have lots of line and stronger drag when no too much line capacity is needed.

The Baja Guy

Benni3

do you got more drag than cranking power,,,,,, ;D