Levelmatic 940 - problem after rebuild

Started by williewiskers, January 12, 2020, 08:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williewiskers

I am apprised at the complete rebuild of my senators and got my first Levelmatic, a 940. I took everything apart, cleaned it, lubed everything appropriately and installed HT-100 drag washers. Upon full reassembly everything works and is smooth EXCEPT the auto-spool-reset (return from freespool by turning the handle). Turning the handle does fully reset the eccentric jack plate and freespool button, but the buttons on the bottom of the sleeve ratchet keep catching the bridge lever after the spool is engaged. Manually cycling the button clears the problem. I have taken this thing apart 20 times, analysed the interaction between the jack plate and the bridge lever and cannot find anything functioning incorrectly. The plates mate up the way pictures on the mystic tutorial show them to.

Does anyone know what's going on here and have any idea what I can do about it?

Thank you,
The Wiskers

williewiskers

Does no one have any idea what could be causing this?

mo65

I've been thinking about this one williewiskers...as I've seen this happen before...but I just can't remember the cure. Abu Garcia Ambassaduers and Daiwa Millionaires will do this also, as their design is nearly the same. If someone doesn't chime in soon...check some Abu Garcia forums. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

nelz

Quote from: williewiskers on January 14, 2020, 01:27:06 PMDoes no one have any idea what could be causing this?

This might help, I forget where it was posted though.

NOTE: Originally Posted on: http://alantani.com/ Copyright © By Dave Healey, Australia Reprinted with permission of the author.

foakes

Some pics of the insides on your reel would likely help to get you some answers, Willie --

Otherwise, it is just 20 questions, 20 answers -- then start over again with no resolution.

Photos also help us all to have a better idea of what the issues might be -- possible solutions -- and also help any newcomers to learn about these reels.

Good luck on your troubleshooting and repairing of this 940.

It is likely an easy fix with the number of experts on our site who have done dozens of these reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

williewiskers

Nelz, the bridge is seated and fitted correctly, everything moves as it should. I have re-assembled this thing to many times to count in one day

Foakes, I really cant take a picture because I cant see the plates interacting under the bridge when its installed int the side plate.

Someone on a facebook group suggested the "bridge lever spring (159-910)" might have gotten weak. It feels hard to me, but then again i dont know how tight it should be. But I cannot see another component that I could believe has any other effect on this phenomenon.

As far as pictures, i would have to do a video, there is just no clear way to show whats happening with a single or set of photos

Swami805

I'd try a new spring. Over time the parts wear together and sort of mate   Once taken apart they are slightly different orientation and may require a bit more tension from the spring to work right. I've had the same problem with my abu's, work fine until I serviced them but wouldn't pop back into gear like they should. New springs cured it, the old ones had lost some of their tension
Do what you can with that you have where you are

williewiskers

Sounds good swami, Ill order a spring from Mystic today. Have a few other misc parts to get too.

Thank you!

Ill report back if it worked or not.