My First Bad Delrin

Started by handi2, January 13, 2020, 10:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 15, 2020, 04:27:00 AM
Quote from: oc1 on January 14, 2020, 05:49:14 AM
Melt Quality
Delrin® is stable in well maintained and properly set injection units and hot runner systems. If a small amount of melt degradation does occur, it will not lower molecular weight or cause brittleness (which is the case with almost all other polymers).

[/i]
https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/products-and-services/plastics-polymers-and-resins/thermoplastics/documents/Delrin/Delrin%C2%AE%20%20Acetal%20Homopolymer%20Resin%20%E2%80%93%20Molding%20Tips.pdf

I don't know what that means, but it sounds awesome.

-steve

So, based on that information, it appears white would always be the best option?

That document is discussing injection molding of Delrin.   That means  the material has been heated to the point of liquification before these changes occur.

Delrin liquifies at around 350F, but needs to get up closer to 400 for ideal temp for injection molding.   You can only keep it at 400 for a limited amount of time before it starts degrading.  

If a Delrin undergear washer reached a temp where degradation is a problem, then it has melted into a little pool on the bottom of your reel and the crystalline structure upon cooling will not be the issue.   White blob, red blob, black blob.  Doesn't really matter.

-J

handi2

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 13, 2020, 11:36:26 PM
Still doesn't look that bad to me.
That reel must have been screaming for a while.
Thanks for sharing Keith, I call one out of thousands within the past 5+ years of usage a good thing!

Sal

Your right on Sal on the Delrin washers. The Carbontex washers have 4 years on them. Out of 25 reels only 2 needed new ones. He has the handles in the speed position so the reels don't get the torque of being in the power position.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

For me it was 1 out of ~20 reels (1of~40 total washers) needed replacing.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.