Olympic VO Auto 101

Started by wailua boy, January 14, 2020, 12:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wailua boy

Aloha Ohana. This reel just came in today. Originally it was advertised as a 505, which was the largest size versus the 101, the smallest. The reel was advertised at fully functional but upon opening the reel, the oscillation block was exploded. Aside from the oscillation block, it looked to be a decent reel. Here's a few pics.

wailua boy

wailua boy

wailua boy

mo65

Nice looking reel...too bad about the oscillation block.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Probably good to keep your eyes open for a donor reel to rob the O Block from --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wailua boy

thanks guys. i did pick a part reel for $20 shipped, hopefully the oscillation block holds up better. Once i notified the seller of the original reel they refunded me immediately and told me to just keep it, so ended up being an alright deal.

Gfish

Good deal Wailua. If they advertise it as fully functional, then they should have tested everything or had someone who knows reels do it for 'em. Looks like a quality reel... As soon as I see an AR that works off a rachet near the pinion I start to think that...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on January 14, 2020, 07:43:59 PM
Good deal Wailua. If they advertise it as fully functional, then they should have tested everything or had someone who knows reels do it for 'em. Looks like a quality reel... As soon as I see an AR that works off a rachet near the pinion I start to think that...

Sometimes things like that happen during shipping if their not packed well. I received a near mint Penn 720 a couple months ago for a really reasonable price. The seller described it as working fine. When I opened the box & cranked it it wouldn't oscillate. I opened it up and the block was broken in two. I notified him, told him how hard to find and expensive a replacement block is and sent him a link to Mystic's part. He said he never opened it up but it worked fine when he sent it. I offered to keep it if he credited me the part cost. He said "nope, send it back".    ??? The return shipping label he provided was a little over half the cost of the part.  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Is it a coincidence that 9 times out of 10 -- it is a plastic or pot metal part that fails?

Shortcuts in materials & quality parts -- always lead to an early demise of a decent fishing reel.  Even when the reel has not been used much, if at all.

Plastic's nature is to break -- pot metal blocks are lubed with grease that turns to hard beeswax over time -- then an unknowing angler tries to "crank it back to health" -- and the block busts into pieces.

You should have let me know you needed a block, Tom.

EBay seller likely figured it went too cheap -- but was locked into selling it to you.  When an $$$ adjustment was on the table -- he was just happy to get the reel back, install a new block, and sell it for twice as much later.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on January 14, 2020, 09:43:50 PM
Is it a coincidence that 9 times out of 10 -- it is a plastic or pot metal part that fails?

Shortcuts in materials & quality parts -- always lead to an early demise of a decent fishing reel.  Even when the reel has not been used much, if at all.

Plastic's nature is to break -- pot metal blocks are lubed with grease that turns to hard beeswax over time -- then an unknowing angler tries to "crank it back to health" -- and the block busts into pieces.

You should have let me know you needed a block, Tom.

EBay seller likely figured it went too cheap -- but was locked into selling it to you.  When an $$$ adjustment was on the table -- he was just happy to get the reel back, install a new block, and sell it for twice as much later.

Best, Fred

At the time, Fred, you had noted that you didn't have that many you could spare and since I wasn't going to be fishing it other than for shelf fish, I figured I wouldn't put you in a bind.  :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 14, 2020, 10:39:49 PM
At the time, Fred, you had noted that you didn't have that many you could spare and since I wasn't going to be fishing it other than for shelf fish, I figured I wouldn't put you in a bind.  :)

That may be true, Tom --

But the world is not created equal -- and a solid, knowledgeable, expert member and a regular contributor approaching 2000 posts -- deserves more than a guy just trolling the internet for discontinued and rare parts.

There is a certain amount of loyalty, comradeship, and respect for others needs -- even if it is my last part...as long as it doesn't take away from a future build -- or leaves a reel with no hope of having the part ever replaced.

You and many others on our site have earned this right through your many contributions.

We all try to help each other when possible.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Thank you for the warm and kind words, Fred! I do, though, realize that there's a big difference between users & shelfies. You, or someone else, may need the limited supply you have in stock for reels that see real use. If there were replacements readily available it would have been a little different story. I've learned that there will always be another reel that will come available at some point but those blocks are clearly a rare resource to be used by those that really need them.   :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE