Pen slammer 3 3500 service issues

Started by RandyMFoster, January 14, 2020, 12:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyMFoster

HI I have been working on a reel that frankly I cannot make sense of why it has not come out smooth.
I have replaced the gear set shimmed the pinion gear to no play replaced the oscillation line slider shaft  I and block. Tried shimming the initial gear set in various ways.

The initial problem was in which the drive gear would bind upon turning the handle hiring the oscillation slider, damaging the gears. I then tried adding a small shim to the left of the Y axis but to much caused the drive gear to run against the right of  the side plate body I then used a smaller shim and this corrected the binding at this point the gears were damaged to the point to it runing very rough worse so then before. So now I have a new gear set I replaced the other parts mentioned and gave it a go without a shim and it wanted to bind again... This was a brand new reel bought off amazon I reached out to Penn but since I already opened it up to take a look they had no assistance to offer.. I spoke very breifly with a reel tech at a local shop who told me he has had the same issue with the same reel and had no solution for me..
So should I simply reassemble with the smallest possible shim to the left of the x axis of the gear train and the factory stock .08 shim to the right? I really do not want to ruin a second set of gears.

Anyone with suggestions or who may have encountered this issue you're input would be very welcome

Gfish

What's up, Randy!
Can you post any pictures? Also, can you explain the terms "x axis", "y axis" and the word "hiring" in the 1st sentence of the 2nd paragraph?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

Also, can you explain " shimmed the pinion gear to no play " -- maybe that's your problem

don't really know Penn, but in general:

any play in the pinion should get picked up when you attach the rotor

any shims between pinion & rotor, position the rotor vertically

• minute adjustments produce the reverse effect of spool adjustment washers
  • drastic adjustments cause malfunction -- probably binding

RandyMFoster

So I was trying to think of an easier way to express where I was placing shims in corlatrelation to looking straight on the center of gear mesh . Left of drive and right of drive would be of been the correct way to say it sorry.. yes I elmiated play in the pinion to try to eliminate the binding... I since placed it normally this reel went on the back burner but I think the oscillation gear may be the problem that or the oscillation connection to the spool may be warped from the binding.. I'm going to replace them.. I am going to see if I can upload a short video? I don't think picture alone will show the two sections I think are suspect. However il take some shots tommorow of reel as is

RandyMFoster

Quote from: philaroman on January 14, 2020, 07:38:31 PM
Also, can you explain " shimmed the pinion gear to no play " -- maybe that's your problem

don't really know Penn, but in general:

any play in the pinion should get picked up when you attach the rotor

any shims between pinion & rotor, position the rotor vertically

• minute adjustments produce the reverse effect of spool adjustment washers
  • drastic adjustments cause malfunction -- probably binding

I believe you are correct however a small shim may be needed to prevent the binding with one in place I can prevent the binding issue I let the pinion have the slop.. I will post photo of current configuration that is the least problematic... I allmost wonder if I should not place sideplate or put drive gear fully in place until rotor is tight