Main Menu

Hair jig material

Started by Rancanfish, January 15, 2020, 02:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Any one know where to buy the white hair for jigs? (Hair raiser style).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

whats a hairraiser? i get jig dressing from Anglers Workshop or Janns Netcraft.

oc1

I go to ebay and buy undyed bucktails (literally, the whole tail from a deer).  Brown on the top and snow white on the bottom.  
-steve

Gadget

Goat hair is the best. Over here in Western Australia we have shot feral goats and used their hair to make streamer flies for decades.Some world records have been had on those flies.
Get it long enough and it works well on jigs.I've also use the chest and tail hair off my old dog when she died as well that works too.
A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

jurelometer

Quote from: oc1 on January 15, 2020, 06:42:26 AM
I go to ebay and buy undyed bucktails (literally, the whole tail from a deer).  Brown on the top and snow white on the bottom.  
-steve

This^^^

The original hair raisers use bucktail.  So if you want the exact same stuff, this is it.    Tails with longer hair are harder to find and usually cost more, but if you are looking for 3-4 inch lengths, just about any tail will do.

Other stiff hairs or synthetics will work as well, but most are not as opaque as bucktail.  Better to stay away from the soft stuff if you want a true hair raiser style.

-J

-J

oc1

Deer tails from cold climates are said to be better because the fur is thicker.  But, the thick fur has a lot of undercoat of fine short hairs.  I'd rather have an early-season southern whitetail because you can cut off a bundle of long stiff hair without having to flick/pick away all the useless undercoat.
-steve

Shark Hunter

I came real close to hitting an eight point buck on my way home from work tonight.
Luckily, I saw his rack before he stepped up on the road. I was sideways when the tire screeching made him turn back.
I would have cut his tail off for sure if I had hit him. My 1999 Camry has been my work car for the past two years.
Just getting broke in at 199K.
Biggest Buck I have seen in my Life!
His Rack had to be 4 feet round. Looked like a fricking Chandalier coming out of the woods!
That knive Fred gave me for Christmas would have done quick work of his butt hair. ;D
Life is Good!

Swami805

One of my buddies at work has a old Camry that's still going at 400,000 miles, he has a 100 commute to work everyday, you're right Daron yours is just getting broken in.
I've seen those bucktail jigs made from that webbing off of chairs too
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SoCalAngler

I'm not sure where your located but any tackle store that specializes in wrapping flies will have what you need. Most likely much more than your looking for. If they are not local to you many shops on the net will ship what you would like. Real hair dyed to what you want, artificial's in any color, it's all good and they may have something exotic that you won't be able to find right next door at a local dealer.

The web may be your friend.

Rancanfish

Yeah I've heard google is your friend before lol.  I bought some Spro jigs and want to duplicate them. (White).

Just would rather use previous buyer experience to avoid ending up with junk.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Gadget on January 16, 2020, 12:47:26 AM
Goat hair is the best. Over here in Western Australia we have shot feral goats and used their hair to make streamer flies for decades.Some world records have been had on those flies.
Get it long enough and it works well on jigs.I've also use the chest and tail hair off my old dog when she died as well that works too.
Goat Hair? I have a friend at work that is a goat farmer. Has been for a long time.
If you need Goat hair, just say the word. ;D
They won't be shot. :o
Life is Good!

Gadget

The goat hair needs to be white and as long as you can get it .Mohair is no good.Old billies best if you have a friendly farmer so much the better .here they just run wild on station country.
A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

Rancanfish

Just to follow up,  I found deer tails on the auction site.  About $12 to my door.  Long hair version.

Quite the job without the proper vise but managed to get a few 4 oz. worked up.  With the proper tools and a bit of experience I'll be rolling!

Thanks guys.  I am set for the rest of my life.   I picked up a couple dozen blank jigs, I can do a few anytime I'm going to hit the deck.

Sharky,  talk to your bud and see how he would harvest.  The deer tail is still on the hide, so makes for easy storage.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Randy, I've tied hundreds of jigs- in a shop vise. you can get a small clamp on shop vise cheaply that works fine and I use it for many other things like spooling reels or whatever.

John