Off topic: Heddon Glass rod fans???

Started by SummertimeBlues, August 09, 2023, 06:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SummertimeBlues

After my Grandfather died, my Grandmother gave me his Heddon Ultralite rod. I remembered the hand written info on the lower blank above the hookkeeper:

Heddon Mini Ultralite 5'3" #6xxx
1/16 - 1/4 oz. Lures #2-#4 Lb. Test Spinning

Or something very close to that. Sadly, Not legible anymore.

Anyone have any info from a catalog they may have? I believe it to be a "Pro Weight" which came out around '66-'68(?). It would be amazing if someone actually had a bottom half of this rod, as I broke it at the upper cork grip, and the cork handle has been missing (lost) for nearly 40 years. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

philaroman

SummertimeBlues

Quote from: philaroman on August 09, 2023, 06:09:53 PMhere's another good place to ask:
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

Haaah... Yeah, I'm still waiting to be approved by administrators over there. It's been over a week now...I dunno.

happyhooker

I picked up somewhere an online copy of the '71 Heddon catalog.  As near as I can see, the Pro Weight series of rods is not in that catalog.  I have other info (not the actual catalog) from 1966, indicating the Pro Weights were offered then, at least as fly rods (I don't know about other types of rods.)  There were 5 different fly rods in '66, all for $27.95.

In about 1980, I bought a Heddon Pal Mark 1 spinning rod, 2-piece, 5-ft. long as I remember.  It was a beautiful rod, which my wife used much more than I did.  The thing I remember most about it was that it had an action resembling a wet strand of spaghetti noodle.  It used locking rings rather than a conventional reel seat, and mounted reels had to be tied on to the cork to keep them from falling off. Despite that, between the two of us, we caught a lot of panfish and a couple of decent sized walleyes that I specifically remember, on it.  Sadly, the rod was lost when mistakenly unpacked from the back of our vehicle at a store, and left behind when we drove off; a return to the store within 90 minutes or so found no indication of the rod or what happened to it.  Been trying to get a replacement by carefully watching listings on the big auction site, but have never connected.  I've only done this out of nostalgia, as I have any number of UL rods that I would find superior to this old Pal.  Based on this one example, I have never thought Heddon rods as being that great; that must be a bad opinion based on too small a sample size, as I know many people who just rave about old Heddons, and especially the old fiberglass fly rods.

Frank

SummertimeBlues

Quote from: happyhooker on August 09, 2023, 08:43:35 PMI picked up somewhere an online copy of the '71 Heddon catalog.  As near as I can see, the Pro Weight series of rods is not in that catalog.  I have other info (not the actual catalog) from 1966, indicating the Pro Weights were offered then, at least as fly rods (I don't know about other types of rods.)  There were 5 different fly rods in '66, all for $27.95.

In about 1980, I bought a Heddon Pal Mark 1 spinning rod, 2-piece, 5-ft. long as I remember.  It was a beautiful rod, which my wife used much more than I did.  The thing I remember most about it was that it had an action resembling a wet strand of spaghetti noodle.  It used locking rings rather than a conventional reel seat, and mounted reels had to be tied on to the cork to keep them from falling off. Despite that, between the two of us, we caught a lot of panfish and a couple of decent sized walleyes that I specifically remember, on it.  Sadly, the rod was lost when mistakenly unpacked from the back of our vehicle at a store, and left behind when we drove off; a return to the store within 90 minutes or so found no indication of the rod or what happened to it.  Been trying to get a replacement by carefully watching listings on the big auction site, but have never connected.  I've only done this out of nostalgia, as I have any number of UL rods that I would find superior to this old Pal.  Based on this one example, I have never thought Heddon rods as being that great; that must be a bad opinion based on too small a sample size, as I know many people who just rave about old Heddons, and especially the old fiberglass fly rods.

Frank

This rod in particular was my Grandfather's, so it has major personal provenance. Secondly, I caught my personal best Brown Trout (3.5#) on this rod. I also caught a 24" Sturgeon in the CT River on this rod. The CT River was it's undoing, as I broke it when I snagged bottom and pulled a bit too hard. It was foolhardy to use that beautiful little rod on big water like that. Sometimes when you're younger, you just don't know what you have til it's too late. It's a beautiful, whispy little rod that I look forward to repairing. I actually saw 2 Heddon 5' rods on eBay, one being the full cork handled model with the reel rings, only, they are 1 piece rods. Here's a link: ( I have no link to or stake in these rods). But if you do purchase them. I would buy the one with the anodized reel seat from you!  ; )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126027519484

Here's a picture of the Sturgeon I caught with Grandpa's Heddon Mini UL. I was hoping the rod was in the photos. The hat I'm wearing was also my Grandfather's... It barely fit my head with all that hair I had! LOL!!!

Also a picture of that Brown Trout... A memorable day captured with a mount of the fish!