Shakespeare 2210, a look inside

Started by festus, January 18, 2020, 08:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

These are nice reels, if the main gear was something better than pot metal, I'd almost give them an A rating.  I have a couple of this reel's little brothers, the 2200, which are ultralight.  These reels are also cloned and sold as Compacs and Diamonds in gold paint jobs.  Pflueger might have their version too, not sure about that.  

This reel looked and felt ready to fish, was clean and handle turned very well.  Drag and anti-reverse were working fine, and the bail worked very crisply.

First look inside.  The little ultralight 2200 was very similar in design.

The screws on the non-handle side are shorter than the other side.

Lots of old brown grease in there.  Definitely need a cleanout.  Looks like someone maybe had taken apart one of the sideplates and shot some oil in there.

Removing screw and washer that attaches oscillating slider to axle.

Removing axle and oscillating slider.

A look inside the top of the rotor.  

Removing the 14mm rotor nut which has left hand threads allows removal of the rotor..

There is a ball bearing underneath this bail trip ramp/pinion cover.

It appeared someone had gotten the line guide backward in the past, so I decided to give bail spring, bail arm, screws, etc a good cleaning.  The bail nut needs a 7mm socket.

A look at the underside of the spool and clicker assembly.

A look inside the housing an anti-reverse assembly.  I decided to take out the anti-reverse claw and spring to make it easier to clean around.

The anti-reverse assembly, spool and drag assembly, and rotor assembly back together after rebuild.

Pinion and ball bearing back in place.  I lubed the ball bearing with a mixture of Ardent Reel Grease and Ardent Reel Oil.

Rotor reattached.

Reattaching oscillating slider to axle.

Reattaching side plate on non-handle side.

Can't lose the little bushing or this reel will never run right.

Reattaching side plate on handle side.

Reattaching handle.

Reattaching spool.

These are some of the "free-wheeling-est spinners" I've ever owned.  Ditto with the smaller Shakes 2200, Compac Atlas III, and Diamond7Micro.  Not really sure when these reels were introduced, but they aren't listed in my 1969 Shakespeare catalog.

This last pic is side-by-side comparison with Mitchell 300.  These spool on these two reels have the same diameter, but the Mitchell spool is a little deeper, so the Mitchell has more line capacity.  The Shakepeare weighs 10.3 oz, the Mitchell weighs 12.1 oz.  The Shakespeare is much smoother and feels more fishable than the Mitchell.  But if I hooked a bigger fish, I'd have more confidence in the Mitchell.

mo65

That's another one I've been curious about. Great work Chester...and thanks for the tour! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester. Shakespeare hooked up with Omori in 1970 so it would have been shortly thereafter.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

festus

Quote from: mo65 on January 18, 2020, 08:53:14 PM
That's another one I've been curious about. Great work Chester...and thanks for the tour! 8)
Mo, I've seen these go for on ebay for anywhere from 6 bucks used in good shape up to 40 bucks n.i.b. with papers. For 10 bucks it's well worth it.

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 18, 2020, 09:15:59 PM
Well done, Chester. Shakespeare hooked up with Omori in 1970 so it would have been shortly thereafter.
Thanks for the info, Tommy.  I remember the Compacs and Diamond for sale in my area but don't really remember seeing the Shakes.

Does anyone know if I have my line guide backwards?   ???

Midway Tommy

It appears that way to me. The smaller diameter end with the narrower flat area, i.e. collar, should go into the bail recess. The larger end with the larger collar should go into the recess on the bail arm. It also looks like the bail arm is bent back a little bit.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

As usual, a nice look at a decent reel.  I have a Diamond that is similar; needs a handle before I take it apart & try to get her back into service.

Frank

Ruffy

Thanks for the walk through. I've got a 2240 right hand wind and agree, it's one the free-wheeling-est spinners I have too. The title would probably go to a 2200CK 050 though.

Gfish

How's the line roller spin with it installed like in the picture? That one gets me too, sometimes.
Looks like pretty nice sturdy reel. A better quality main gear, maybe a pinion oriented AR unit and a screw for the knob to make disassembly cleaning easier, and I'd say an "A".
What'er the drag friction washers made of and is the spool aluminium?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

swede 53

I have a 2210 11,the main differences i see are it has a single piece handle,no handle side sideplate and it has an aluminum pop off spool.The drag washers are felt.Though it doesn't have as good a gear set as the 2062 i have i actually use it more.I appreciate Chester's tutorials on these lesser known reels,they can save a person a lot of problems,especially tearing down one like the Heddon 230.