Solid carbonfiber blank baitcasting rod

Started by Tile, January 18, 2020, 10:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

I purchased a 2.4m Fladen Maxximus solid carbonfiber blank rod (over)rated for 20-40lb line. The main problem with the rod was the poor quality reel seat that it came with and the non standard captive nut. After unsuccessfully trying to find a metal reel seat to replace the plastic one I had a brainwave: turn it into a solid blank baitcasting 2 iece rod. First came the stripdown: the EVA handle came off, ferrule was also removed and I was surprised to find that cotton thread was used as an arbor, and part of the labelling was off. The only part remained was the blank and the guides. After that the rebuild began: new butt extension made from anodised aluminum tube  and carbonfiber tubes, the blank was cut and the ferrule solidly attached and a section of stainless extendable antenna placed over the female end, the grips were cut and placed and the reel seat was also glued in place. Instead of the traditional masking tape arbors I used bits of carbonfiber from a landing net telescopic handle.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Tile

The rod had its first outing on the water on Overton Lake in Ferry Meadows park in Peterborough. I can say that it performs as expected, the ferrule joint has no flex under load. Also 2 more pics - eye candy :)
In solid fiberglass we trust