Question regarding N series anti-reverse repair

Started by festus, January 19, 2020, 06:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Got another D-A-M Quick 550N torn down and giving it a good cleaning.

The reel was functioning ok other than the anti-reverse.  It's obvious the a/r dog is worn in this one.  

I've replaced a/r dogs in N series before, but at the time wasn't aware that the tension pin (part 72) was removable.  Removing this pin will make things much easier.  It was a real pain trying to get the dog back in with the pin as an obstacle.

My question is how do you remove this tension pin?  Can it just be grabbed with pliers and pulled out?  It doesn't appear to be threaded.

Alto Mare

Hello Chester, how do you compare the 550 to the 550N?
Since you've been working on so many of these I would like to hear your thoughts.
Sorry I can't check on the 550N about part #72 I do not have any 550N.
I'm sure Fred will have the answer for you, or maybe someone else.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

festus

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 19, 2020, 07:12:27 PM
Since you've been working on so many of these I would like to hear your thoughts.

Best,

Sal
Sal, the weakest point on any N series seems to be wear on the anti-reverse dog.  The a/r assembly on the non-N series is definitely stronger, but much noisier with more vibrations.  I prefer the N series when fishing artificials, especially in the smaller sizes such as the 110N, 220N, and 330N.  Of course a/r on the non-N series can be turned off, but I prefer it engaged at all times.  The a/r lever on the non-N jumps all the time while engaged and you're reeling which is distracting (to me at least) while fishing artificials such as jigs, inline spinners, or plastic baits.  On the larger sizes such as the 440 and 550, it doesn't make much difference.  The pinion bearing is smaller on the N series, and the ratchet clicker is plastic on the N series. The bail trip assembly is much different on the N series, but I like it better.

So, in my opinion, the 550 is a better reel than the 550N. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: festus on January 19, 2020, 07:29:56 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on January 19, 2020, 07:12:27 PM

Best,

Sal
Sal, the weakest point on any N series seems to be wear on the anti-reverse dog.  The a/r assembly on the non-N series is definitely stronger, but much noisier with more vibrations.  I prefer the N series when fishing artificials, especially in the smaller sizes such as the 110N, 220N, and 330N.  Of course a/r on the non-N series can be turned off, but I prefer it engaged at all times.  The a/r lever on the non-N jumps all the time while engaged and you're reeling which is distracting (to me at least) while fishing artificials such as jigs, inline spinners, or plastic baits.  On the larger sizes such as the 440 and 550, it doesn't make much difference.  The pinion bearing is smaller on the N series, and the ratchet clicker is plastic on the N series. The bail trip assembly is much different on the N series, but I like it better.

So, in my opinion, the 550 is a better reel than the 550N. 
👍
Thanks Chester and agree!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

festus

Fishing with live bait it really doesn't matter, but imho the 110N, 220N, and the 330N feel much better on retrieval.

foakes

Just grab the A/R stop pin with a good pair of small ignition pliers -- twist slightly -- and pull it out. 

Just goes back in easily.

It is a hollow "roll pin" -- so don't get overly aggressive because it will distort and compress if squeezed too much.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Quote from: foakes on January 20, 2020, 01:47:00 AM
Just grab the A/R stop pin with a good pair of small ignition pliers -- twist slightly -- and pull it out. 

Just goes back in easily.

It is a hollow "roll pin" -- so don't get overly aggressive because it will distort and compress if squeezed too much.

Best,

Fred
Thanks Fred, I was able to change the a/r dog and spring without removing the tension pin.  It didn't seem as difficult this time around.  However, the a/r still isn't working. The dog and spring were from a 331N I'd junked out a while back.  The replacement dog looked ok.  If it had been defective I would have made sure it was discarded, but apparently it slipped under the radar.  Took a couple minutes to notice the a/r lever in the 550N is longer than the other N series.

Milan S

Colleagues,

Who is faster to wear with the N Series: rotor teeth or a/r dog?
How long does it take to get to an unusable state?

I use 331n for very fast spinning asp fish with engaged a/r sytem all the time ...

Does frecvent lubrication can help to extend the life of a/r dog or rotor teeth?
What does your experience say?

My choice was on the N Series side.

1. The a/r system is in front of the pinion and main gear. And it protects gears better than it is after them (like 330 series).
2. The a/r system is much faster allowing much less backward movement than earlier series (and later series).
3. The main gear carrier is molded together with the housing and there is no connection to the three screws like 330 series. There is no tolerance and everything is as tight as possible.
4. The side cover is only on one screw. Access to the gears is very easy and allows for easier periodic maintenance.

My opinion...

Beachmaster

Quote from: Milan S on February 09, 2020, 07:07:35 AM
Colleagues,

Who is faster to wear with the N Series: rotor teeth or a/r dog?
How long does it take to get to an unusable state?

I use 331n for very fast spinning asp fish with engaged a/r sytem all the time ...

Does frecvent lubrication can help to extend the life of a/r dog or rotor teeth?
What does your experience say?

My choice was on the N Series side.

1. The a/r system is in front of the pinion and main gear. And it protects gears better than it is after them (like 330 series).
2. The a/r system is much faster allowing much less backward movement than earlier series (and later series).
3. The main gear carrier is molded together with the housing and there is no connection to the three screws like 330 series. There is no tolerance and everything is as tight as possible.
4. The side cover is only on one screw. Access to the gears is very easy and allows for easier periodic maintenance.

My opinion...

I have just now gotten around to rebuilding a lot of the N models I have and it looks to me like that AR dog and maybe the teeth on the rotor are usually worn quite a bit if the reel was fished a lot.

Milan S

Beachmaster,

Thanks for the great news!
In any case, time will tell, and I'll let you know.

Best,
Milan

festus

I own at least 2 or 3 of all the N series and the only model that has given me anti-reverse problems is the 550N.  This model has a huge rotor and I figured it puts more wear on the dog.

Milan S

Festus,
That is a good answer and it follows from the conclusion that the greater the circumference of the rotor, the more the a/r dog consumes. Same thing like main gear and pinion gear (example for high speed reel).

Were they used with the brake on and for spinning?

I think, extra lubrication significantly reduces wear. I had the idea of ​​making a smole hole on the down side near the  rotor and rachet for easier lubrication if needed.

If necessary, I can make a a/r dog but the rotor does not.   :)